Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justuscountryfolks

What tomatoes did you plant in 2007?

justuscountryfolks
16 years ago

Always interested in what our tomatoe lovers planted and what were the outcome. I had Early Girl, Amelia, Crista, Marglobe this year and had a bumper crop. Usually I would also have several other varieties planted but this year was unable to do so. I plan on planting several more varieties next year and curious to see what others planted and any comments they wish to share with me.

Happy Gardening....

Comments (9)

• natal
    16 years ago

Never heard of any of those except Early Girl. Have to read up on 'em.

This year I grew Sweet Tangerine, Brandy Boy, Pineapple, Black From Tula, Viva Italia, Heidi, and Sun Gold. Not impressed with Brandy Boy. Loved Pineapple and Black From Tula, but production was low. Heidi is a very prolific paste tomato, but I prefer the flavor of Viva Italia. Sweet Tangerine is an orange beefsteak and Sun Gold is my favorite cherry.

I pulled all plants except the 4 Sun Gold a few weeks ago. Still harvesting a small bowlful/day.

Pic was taken in early June.

• natal
    16 years ago

Didn't anyone else grow tomatoes this year?

• justuscountryfolks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natal, guess this forum is just slow compared to the others in the region. See where you had Sweet Tangerine planted this year. Tell me about those. I was thinking about planting Persimmon as an orange tomato next year. Been getting positive reports on it, By the way we are located in Central Louisiana area. Where are you located? We are still getting way too much rain in our area. I still have Okra, eggplants, bell peppers, purple hull peas and a few Early Girl tomatoes still bearing for us. Our fall tomatoes are looking good. Need to get in the garden and get other fall vegetables planted.

• Donna
    16 years ago

I plant my tomatoes in pots, so that may disqualify me for your poll, but I got so tired of dealing with early blight, and all the rest that I tried something new. Love it! This was my third year, and I am still picking tomatoes even in this dreadful heat. Anyway... I grew one Bush Goliath and one Better Bush. They were both good, but I think Goliath has held up better in this heat.

• ellie_may12
    16 years ago

I planted Heatwave and a heirloom tomato in early spring. Got nothing from the heirloom, but heatwave did well until it got really hot in early July. They all wilted on me.

Then in late July, I planted creole, heatwave and a cherry. They are putting on tomatoes now, but I haven't gotten any ripe ones yet.

This was my first year in this house, so I wasn't sure where the best place to plant for the best sun, so we are trying some different things and hopefully, I will figure out how to get the most out of my 1/4 acre yard.

• novagarden
    16 years ago

2007 was my third year for growing mostly heirloom tomatoes. Despite a bout with wilt, I had my best harvest yet. I grow in raised beds amended with lots of homemade compost.

Some of the 2007 varieties were Polish, Sioux, Earl's Faux, Cherokee Purple, Arkansas Traveler, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Aunt Ruby's Green, German Red Strawberry, Black Cherry, Creole and Sun Gold.

In 2005 and 2006, my tomatoes were grown in 5 gal. buckets or large pots with little success. This fall, I plan to increase the number of raised beds and re-try some of the 2005/2006 varieties. Past varieties I will try again are: Brandywine (Sudduth), Druzba, Mortgage Lifter, Box Car Willie, Marianna's Peace, Black Krim, Schellenberg's Favorite, Kellog's Breakfast, and Grandma Frieda's.

The heirloom varieties are certainly a little more work, but as far as real tomato flavor goes, they are absolutely the best. I look forward to more postings from Louisiana growers. What was you favorite variety?

My personal favorites (so far) are Earl's Faux, Polish, Cherokee Purple, German Red Strawberry, and Sun Gold.

Best to all,

Rick

• natal
    16 years ago

Rick, I've grown a number of those you posted with disappointing production and/or flavor ... Sioux, Arkansas Traveler, BW Sudduth, Mortgage Lifter, Marianna's Peace, and Kellogg's Breakfast.

I do love Cherokee Purple, Sun Gold and meant to try German Red Strawberry last year, but forgot. It might have been you who told me how great it was. Are you in the Zachary area?

• natal
    16 years ago

Justcountryfolks, I'm in BR. Sweet Tangerine's (a Burpee's hybrid) are prolific and have a slightly sweet flavor. I love to combine them with a variety of tomatoes in an uncooked sauce ... one of my favorite ways to eat homegrown tomatoes. I almost bought Tangerine seeds from TGS just to compare. Maybe next year.

• katladie
    16 years ago

Rick, we tried Mortgage Lifter two years in a row and were not satisfied with it at all.

Natal,your tomatoes look delicious, what do you put on them?

Sharon