Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant tomatos

Posted by janet_ms z7Ms. (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 04 at 8:43

Can anyone give me any input on growing giant tomatos. I have 4 different types started and will be ready to put them out in another week or so. Do they need to be spaced different or anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant tomatos

It's darn late for tomatoes to be planted out. Most folks are already harvesting, even up north. You may not see enough growth to get large maters until fall, as blooming and fruit set is retarded by the high heat of summer. Basically, if you want really big maters, disbud all but a couple of fruit on each plant. Water like heck, but evenly, and make sure you control pests and diseases that affect the foliage, because all of that foliage making energy that just goes into a couple of tomatoes is how you get big record breakers. Space them out far enough so that you can keep the suckers well pinched off and the other tomatoes disbudded. The wire trellis system like grapes are grown is a good method of doing this. This is how a lot of commercial tomato growers grow them. You train two suckers up and out, supported by horizontal wires between a couple of posts.

o
RE: giant tomatos

Yes, I'm putting up tomatos like crazy, but the first big tomato seeds I received didn't come up and the company sent me more. I don't really care about record breaking tomatos, just want to see if these are really 2 to 4 lb. tomatos like they say. Felder Rushing advised me that I could go ahead and try these this year, so I did. I've been putting them out and hardening them off the past week.How tall do the plants get?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here