Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting mix goof?

Posted by letsharmonize 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 9:04

i think i goofed, but would appreciate some feedback. i bought several bags of something called "landscape mix" from lowes and have used it as soil to transplant many plants, including hibiscus, geranium, portulaca, coneflower. i've noticed even with fertilizing, that the plants aren't thriving, especially the hibiscus. could this be the reason?
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting mix goof?

From what I've read, it sounds like landscape mix might dry out pretty quickly, it's meant to amend clay type soils. You might want to add some regular topsoil to it. I'm no expert, so you might want to ck with the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum.

o
RE: planting mix goof?

If you are using this in pots, then yes, you have made a mistake. As a general rule, you never want to use anything in pots that has the word "soil" in its name. Potting mixes are light and fluffy even after repeated waterings. This allows plant roots to move easily, to breathe, and keeps water draining to the roots don't rot. When you put soil, topsoil, soil amendments, even potting soil into pots, it will rapidly become so heavy that your plants will literally smother. Dump what you have into your flower beds. It will probably do some good there. Then replace with a good quality potting MIX.

The one exception to this rule might be homemade compost. I read all the time about the british using compost in their pots. What I don't know is if this is an english word for potting mix or if it really is compost. I have mixed my compost into potting mixes with good results in the past, but have never used it in pots "full strength".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here