Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to transplant Pine Tree Seedling?

Posted by gooup z9, LA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 13:16

My son and i picked a pine tree from the Cub Scout camp in Picayune, MS and would like to transplant it into a container or the ground here in Houma, Louisiana.

The seedling is currently in a bottle of water and is doing quite well. All the roots are intact and the tree seems to be thriving.

Photo of seedling: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/246/photo1pom.jpg

Does anyone have any experience in this? The soil in Mississippi was sandy and orange-ish. Here, of course, the soil is obviously much different.

Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to transplant Pine Tree Seedling?

I would go ahead and try to put it in a pot or in the ground. I don't think it will last long in water. Firm the soil good around it and keep it well watered.

o
RE: Best time to transplant Pine Tree Seedling?

Before you plant it in the ground, be sure you want it there. Pine trees are forest trees and do well in such an environment. If you have a large piece of property to put it on that's fine. Pine trees should not be planted near a home or you will suffer the consequences later. They can and will destroy your sewer system and tend to snap off in high winds. I had two removed last year that were planted by the previous owners. Roots had traveled over 80' to reach the sewer pipe and invade them. It's also very costly to have them removed, at least 600 dollars a tree. Another consideration are the local laws concerning the removing of mature trees with in the city limits. Yes I'm talking about Houma.
"gene"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here