Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Control New Lawn

Posted by BrittWave1 2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:27

Hello!

I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the end of May. I tilled, added turf mix, and seeded and fertilized. I have a pretty nice lawn, but a lot of weeds (maybe 35-40% weeds). That said, my lawn looks like a lawn. My question is, how do I approach weed control. Do I let the centipede slowly kill it, re-seeding for the next few seasons. Do I kill the weeds now, creating lots of patches not filled in (worry about soil erosion here)? Do I weed and feed next Spring (hurting my ability to re-seed then)?

I'm in New Orleans. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Control New Lawn

• Posted by Evenie 9b -New Orleans (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 17:02

It's awfully hot and wet right now for weed control. They may have chemicals these days that don't burn or break down in extreme temperatures, but it's been raining so much it's almost a moot point. Everything would wash right down the storm drain. I would wait until next March and do the Weed-and-Feed thing. There's no sense in burning a lawn that you just planted.

o
RE: Weed Control New Lawn

Your first step is to identify the weeds. One size does not fit all when it comes to weed control. Going foward you probly should use sprigs or plugs instead of seed to fill in while useing chemicals on the lawn.
Atrazine and hormone-type herbicides such as 2,4-D and MCPP can be used to control most broadleaved weeds including clover, chickweed, henbit and thistle. Herbicides should be applied in the fall or winter before these weeds mature.
Crabgrass and other summer annuals are most effectively controlled with preemerge herbicides applied in early spring before the weeds emerge. Products containing benefin, DCPA, bensulide or simazine can be effectively used for crabgrass control when applied according to label instructions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here