Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigeasyjock

night blooming jasmine without scent?

bigeasyjock
19 years ago

The plant is about 3 feet tall and thick and loaded with small white trumpet shaped blooms but I swear it has zero scent. Any ideas why. This is Cestrum nocturom.

Mike

Comments (11)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I have the same problem, Mike. I've read that sometimes it takes several years for them to develop scent, but mine have had several years. This is their last--if they don't develop a fragrance this year they're gone. I've also read that we all have a little difference in our odor receptors, and of course some of us are what my mother called 'snoof', the odor equivalent of deaf or blind, and a perfectly good word that I think should be added to our vocabularies! I can smell all my various hedychiums (butterfly ginger and others) and I can smell Mahonia in the middle of the winter, so I don't think I'm 'snoof', but my night blooming jasmine has no fragrance I can sense at all.
    Nancy

• mrskjun
    19 years ago

Mine bloomed for the first time last year....nothing....I planted it right next to my front porch so I could smell it whenever I went in or out. I'm hoping this year will be different.

Betty

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Have you tried smelling it at 11 at night? It doesn't smell in the daytime. Also, cut a small branch with blooms and bring in your house in a vase. See if you can pick up the fragrance at night in the house.

• nanadeb1
    19 years ago

My jasmine has grown very, very tall, only 2 years old, but gets a lot of shade.

Should I cut the top off to encourage bushing out?

• Joeray
    19 years ago

I have plants that I started two years ago from seeds that I purchased. They have some fragrance but nothing like the yard engulfing fragrance that I've heard about. You might can smell them from 3-4 feet away. I've started some more this year from seeds that I got off a plant at a local botanic park. Hopefully, they will have more scent. These are small and haven't bloomed yet. We'll see. I believe the fragrance varies with the plants. It might be worthwhile to get a plant from somewhere like Logee's.

• ktanner4060
    8 years ago

My night blooming jasmine is also without scent. It's four years old and only once in that time has it performed with its legendary deliciousness. Only when I stick my nose in the blossoms can I catch the faintest hint of aroma. With that said, the only thing this plant produces is exasperation. I've spent hours online for remedies which afforded many speculations, which include that my nose isn't working, but absolutely no solutions. There has to be someone out there who knows if there's a soil additive, special fertilizer, piped in music, voodoo chants or special prayer that will entice this robust, blooming, healthy plant to exude its famous fragrance.

• User
    8 years ago

If you don't smell them, you must be sniffing too early. I find that they do not emit that intoxicating fragrance until after 9:00 PM in the evening (even here in NJ). Thus, the name, 'NIGHT-BLOOMING' jasmine.

P.S. Ours are not currently in bloom, but will peak in early to mid September and we have no doubt that the neighbors WILL notice!

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

Ditto what subtropical said.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

My Nightblooming Jasmine won't bloom this year, it bloomed last year(2yrs old). It's in a pot about 3' tall. Please advise. Thanks.

• Elia
    2 years ago

cut the branches very short almost to bare. I did it after years of no blooming. This year I cut the branches to bare steak and is blooming now.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert