Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum tree losing leaves

Posted by lisa455 z9 LA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 04 at 20:37

On a newly planted plum tree, it has been slowly losing its leaves for the past few weeks. The last ones fell off today, but the branches are still green. It has been raining for weeks and my back yard has become virtually a swamp. Is the plum tree stressed from all the water and will recover or is it going to croak? Is there anything I should do other than pray for no more rain - i.e. fertilize? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum tree losing leaves

I don't think you should fertilize; it will just stress the tree more. If it is newly planted, perhaps you could lift it higher. A lot of our things are suffering with too much water.
I lost a purple plum tree the year that Hurricane Lili and that Tropical Storm before her came through here. Too much water in too short a time.
I would try elevating the tree.

o

Excellent advise. We used to have a plum that did very well until we had an extra wet summer and it croaked. It might be worth it to build up a berm for such things. Sometimes you'll read you should build a raised bed, but too often the timbers or whatever you use to edge it hold in the water and what you create is a giant bathtub. Drainage is really a problem in years like this.

o

I planted a small plum tree last summer. It made it through the winter fine but this summer the leaves are curling up as if it gets no water. In other words, they are dry and crispy and shot thru with holes. We are in a semi drought here in south Georgis so I water every few days. I see no insects other than a friendly yellow spider. I am to the point of digging it up and potting for a year. Now the leaves are starting to go limp and drop off. Help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here