Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atokadawn

Hello

atokadawn
14 years ago

I am moving to Biloxi soon from Tn.

While down visiting, I did not see any roses in the yards. Is it to sandy for them or something? Do I need to move my babies in pots? I need help here!!!!!

Comments (2)

• brhgm
    14 years ago

No. Countryside Roses is about 30 minutes from Biloxi.

• plan9fromposhmadison
    14 years ago

Welcome to Mississippi, atokadawn!

Yes, your babies need to be grown in pots, unless they are antique Teas (as opposed to Hybrid Teas), Chinas, Hybrid Musks, Noisettes, or Polyanthas, grown on their own roots or on Fortuniana rootstock.

While you are potting up your roses, you might want to mix in some sort of water-retaining polymer. The sun and heat on the coast are extreme, compared to what you're used to in Tennessee. Pots can dry out quickly, down here. I assume you will be within view of the water, which means you will probably be gardening in sandy soil. The sand may be the problem. Beyond drainage and fertility issues, I think the sand may harbor Nematodes, as it does in Florida.

I assume the soil in the low area behind the coastal ridge is black Gumbo clay. Further inland, you may encounter red clay. Either clay would allow many roses to be grown in-ground, once it's amended with organic matter.

I'm assuming your roses are modern hybrids (Teas), grown on conventional rootstock. The only way these are happy in the Deep South is when they are grown in raised beds, or in pots. You'll want to underplant the roses with something (I may be potting up with Agapanthus). An evergreen daylily might work, or a prostrate conifer of some type. The underplanting will help keep the roots cool: a critical measure for keeping roses happy down here. Otherwise, plan for at least six inches of mulch in the pots. Personally, If I were down there, I'd mulch with sea shells.

But unless the roses are major elements of continuity in your life, you may want to go to the Roses forum, list the name of each rose (and whether it is own-root or grafted), and ask the exerts (it's an elite group, over there) which varieties would stand a chance on the Gulf Coast. It is extremely relevant, BTW, to state how many yards (or blocks) you are from the water, and what type soil you have to work with. The roses that are sure to perish in our heat and humidity are ones you may wish to pass along to a cherished friend.

Sponsored