Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus fruit looks like minature birds are pecking it?

Posted by live_oak_lady Zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 04 at 4:48

My Louisiana orange tree has lots of fruit on it and it looks as though something has been eating the peel? A few years ago I thought it was birds so put netting on the tree. Someone told me it is an insect. Help!! With what can I spray?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus fruit looks like minature birds are pecking it?

• Posted by jim2k mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 04 at 16:31

Ortho malathion 50 plus insect spray this should help. good luck Jim

o

That happens to my grapefruits, but I don't do anything. I have plenty that mature. I don't know what is causing it, but I don't use any pesticides on my property. The anoles take care of things.

Citrus is the host plant of the Giant Swallowtail. The caterpillars feed on the leaves. If you spray, you could be killing potential butterflies.

How old/large is your tree? Mine is about 12ft high.

o

My grapefruit tree is about 12 also and very wide. My orange tree is about 15 years old and produces heavily. In the afternoon sunshine in December it looks like a tree with golden fruit; very pretty. I don't mind the damage as much on the grapefruit as I do on the oranges because I like to make Christmas baskets with them.

o

I use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Oil Soap about a teaspoon per gallon in a hose end sprayer on my citrus when I see snow scale or any leaf damage. Cleans up the trees nicely and smells great. I do this in the evening so the sun won't burn the leaves.

o

Treefrog, I have never heard of that product. Where do you get it? Shall have to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here