Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southern Apples?

Posted by mississippi_jean mississippi (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 9:34

What kind of apple trees can I grow in Central Mississippi?

My favorite eating apple is Fuji - my favorite for cooking is Granny Smith.

Any Southerners out there have experiences growing apples?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southern Apples?

I have planted Freedom and Liberty for cross pollination and for disease resistance. They have not borne fruit yet.
You can find best varieties for your area by contacting your county agent or search msucares + apples.
Laurie

o
RE: Southern Apples?

According to The Southern Living Garden Book, both Fuji and Granny Smith are doable in your area. You need to know, however, that growing apples successfully requires alot of spraying. Freedom (good for fresh eating and cooking) and Liberty (sweet tart, dessert quality), as stated above, are considered "low spray" apples. Most apples require another variety nearby for cross pollination in order to bear well. Granny Smith is a good pollinizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here