Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lac1361

Jacaranda Mimosifolia

lac1361
18 years ago

Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the ground?

Steve

Comments (14)

• tedlyxx
    18 years ago

I have one in the ground but it's near the house in a protected location. The top branches died back in last year's Christmas cold weather. The temperature only got down to 29 degrees, but it stayed below 32 degrees for almost 60 hours. The tree bloomed the year before when one day it got down to 26 degrees. Even though the temperatures last winter never got below 29 degrees, the length of the big one damaged some tropicals that I never had a problem with. I remember when I lived in New Orleans seeing jacarandas 30 feet tall in glorious bloom. I grew mine from seed.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

Thanks for this thread, I have been wondering about growing jacarandas here, also. I heard that they are easily started from seed. J.L.Hudson seeds has a good deal on jacaranda seeds. They do get pretty large though. Could this tree be grown in a pot for awhile?

• live_oak_lady
    18 years ago

I have lots of seeds from Santiago, Chile. Have not planted any yet.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I have heard you can grow anything in a pot, as long as it's large enough. Not sure how true that is, but I've grown lots of things in pots, but not everything! One of the things I find here is that plants I've lost in the ground do well in pots sometimes, I think because of the superior drainage. I started growing some things in pots that were said to need colder winters than we get, reasoning that without the insulation of the soil they would get more winter chill. I also use fairly large pots--started with a half-barrel--so they would have more insulation against the summer heat. And I particularly like those big self-watering pots that make it so I don't have to water them every day!

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

No, can't grow jacaranda in a pot. The tree gets 40 feet tall and has a massive root system. It will sustain damage past freezing for 5 hours or more. I'll have tons of seeds very soon if anyone wants some. There are about 15 small ones in the parking lot at our neighborhood Winn Dixie, and the seeds are just getting ripe now. They are very easy to grow from seed.

• michaelgee
    10 years ago

As everyone in New Orleans knows, this winter we had a horrid freeze. My Jacaranda trees are still green under the bark, so i believe they are still alive. But clearly the tips of the branches are dead.. Do i try and clip them or leave them alone and hope they work things out on their own? any reply would be appreciated... Michael

• jimgershey
    9 years ago

I planted a two-year old seedling in a courtyard in the French Quarter in the spring of 2013 and it got burnt back this past winter by the cold, but the trunk (which was about an inch in diameter) came through and resprouted this spring. It's growing like gangbusters right now, and is about twelve feet tall. Not sure how old it needs to be to bloom, though.

• michaelgee4
    9 years ago

Well as you all know the horrid freeze we had last winter. Not only did the freeze damage my Jacaranda but an boring Asian beetle also help kill it totally. I had to cut it down. I have planted three more and yet again, another freeze this year had killed my two smaller ones. My other one i hope to see come back... Keeping my fingers crossed. jsginbtr I'd love to know if your tree came back , or if it's doing well... and where i might see it or one doing well. I'm going to plant new seeds and hope to finally get one of these gorgeous trees to actually grow into a beautiful tree. This is what my tree looks like today March 7th-2015

• Allen Blow
    7 years ago

Anyone know where I can purchase a Jacaranda seedling in nola area?

• michaelgee4
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Right now i have one in my yard and one in my parents yard, both about two years old. I have had hell with Boring Ambrosia beetles. They have killed both my Jacaranda trees. They have also killed both my white and purple orchid trees. I got my seeds from www.tradewindsfruit.com They start growing pretty quick.. Mind just isn't doing that well.. I pretty mu

ch run out of space for plants since we have a yard full of plants and trees My parents tree is doing much better...
    Look up and read up on Ambrosia beetles, it will help if you want to grow Jacaranda trees. Oh i also believe it's nearly killed my orange and tangerine trees

• michaelgee4
    7 years ago

The tree is still doing great. It's getting tall, i'm still waiting and hoping it will bloom one of these days... i get so many different stories about when and if it will bloom.

• michaelgee4
    7 years ago

Again, If anyone has any idea where there is a Jacaranda tree growing in Metairie Louisiana... place reply and give me the name of the street... I'd love to see one.

• cajunrider
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've planted many exotic trees and have lost all of them this past winter saved for one rainbow eucalyptus that is sprouting new branches at the base. I won't be growing them again. I've replaced many of them with Medjool dates I grew from seeds.