Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking Cuttings - HELP!

Posted by Hairy_Potter z8 NWLouisiana (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 9:54

I need to know if anyone has tips/hints/suggestions about how to take (or if I can take) cuttings from the following plants. I intend to keep the cuttings either indoors or in my soon-to-be-built greenhouse through the winter and plant them in the garden next year.

Magilla Parilla (Wild Basil)
Passion Flower
Mandivilla
Crepe Myrtle
Potato Vine (both green and purple)
Begonia

I've never had the luxury of a greenhouse before. I've done cuttings from coleous, using rooting hormone, but very little other types of plants. Any info on these or other plants would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking Cuttings - HELP!

Hi harry,
Passionflower and mandevilla, can be rooted from cuttings. I have rooted mandevillea by layering. I will post a link on passiflora propagation. Sweet potato vine roots easily in water of soil. Not sure about wild basil but regular basil roots quite easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: passiflora cuttings

o

Depends a little on what kind of begonia you're growing how to propagate, but begonias in general are pretty easy usually. Techniques vary according to type. I haven't tried Magilla perilla, but have a friend who turned one small cutting into dozens of gallon or more pots over the winter--she loves to propagate and has a lot of experience, but I think she just stuck it in a pot of good potting mix and then took more cuttings as the first one grew. They're gorgeous!
There are several different vines that are known as potato vines. Are yours Solanum? I haven't tried them but I don't think they're hard--just be sure with all your cuttings to use a good-quality potting mix and keep them moist but not soggy. As you do more of them you'll get a feel for what works for you, which might be different from what works for someone else. Cuttings are usually pretty easy as long as you don't forget to water (one of my failings!)

o

• Posted by Roxy77 Houston Z9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 12:43

Magilla Parilla is really easy, I bet it would even root in water. Can't say on the others as I haven't tried.

GOOD LUCK!

o

Magilla Perilla is easy. During this summer when I pinched out the top so it would branch, I pinched out two nodes and just stuck the broken off part in dirt. It rooted... Also, I've got some right now in a glass and they have roots. I plan to put them in dirt and overwinter them.

The crepe myrtle can be rooted in the same way. Just make sure you have some of the 'hardened' wood. You can scrape it at the bottom, dip in RootTone, and gently place in dirt. It will root easily.

Hope this helps. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here