Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
River birch

Posted by PetuniaBlossom z8 MS (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 04 at 10:05

Hi all. Does anyone here have river birch trees and are having problems? I have one river birch and just about all the leaves have turned brown and fallen off. Any clues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: River birch

Hello to you, I planted two large trees this fall and they are doing so well. They get full sun and I do water them.
Better ask an expert.

o

• Posted by Pcola z8 NW Florida (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 3, 04 at 11:18

Me too. I believe River Birches do well in the wild near streams and rivers. They are used to having lots of water available. In dry times I have let the hose drip on them to compensate for the lack of water. Or it may be that it is too dang hot!

o

I also have a river birch that is looking sickly. I planted 2 trees 6 years ago and one of the trees produce a minimal amount of leaves compared to the other one. I have sprayed the tree but it is approximately 20 feet tall now and cant reach anymore

o

It's the time of year when river birches lose their leaves - at least in zone 7 it is. They shed a lot earlier than my other trees every year - usually start around the end of August.

o

I have three very large river birch and they constantly drop leaves. During drought conditions they really start dropping.
Mike

o

The tiny third trunk of my year-old river birch never got any leaves, and was drooping, so I tried to tie it back. It snapped, and then I saw it was hollow at the base. I took it all to the garden store, and they said I had a borer pest. Maybe it's the reason there are no leaves on the top of the two good trunks. I bought some Borer pesticide and will spray the tree.

My question is this, I took a soil sample from under the tree, thinking I had a Ph balance issue, and the soil was full of tiny termite worms. I do think the tree was planted where once upon a time huge oaks lived, and their roots are probably still buried far down. Will termites hurt the river birch roots? Should I pour a termite-killing solution around the base, or let them be?

Thanks for ideas ..... Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here