Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamivileine

Crepe myrtle questions

tamivileine
18 years ago

Hi y'all,

I have some crepe myrtles which are being ravaged by aphids, and the concomitant black mildew stuff (I've done a search and noted that they're related).

What insecticides are good for this which are NOT bad for bees and other beneficial critters? Bt? Insecticidal soaps? Neem oil?

My searches are only finding nasties like malathion, and no thanks I'll let the crepes get eaten..

thanks in advance

tami

Comments (7)

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I hate to say it, but the best thing I've found is Di-Syston. It's a systemic that you apply a couple times during the season.

• tamivileine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for trying, but that's a rather nasty organophosphate. So much for the crap myrtles...

Anyone else? Pleeze?

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Its application (a granular applied to the soil) is much less likely to cause the problems associated with spraying or dusting. And it doesn't kill the beneficials you're concerned about.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Well, it doesn't kill them unless they happen to land on the crepe myrtle. I had a very nasty experience with di-Syston a number of years ago, and did some research which included getting material from the EPA. They said that while it has some killing effect as a systemic its major method was to release a nerve gas. It is safer to use outdoors (I was using it in the house for a serious attack of cyclamen mites in my African Violets--very effective. Gorgeous violets. Nearly killed me. May be why my husband has Parkinson's Disease, which they think may be related to pesticides.) Outdoors the gas is more dissipated. There are safer systemics now, and Neem oil or Safer soap would be I think just as effective. I suppose the Safer soap would be better to help wash off the sooty mold. I find the birds do quite a good job of eating aphids, or maybe it's the anole lizards and other helpful wildlife we have since we stopped spraying. Oh, another thing I got from the EPA publications was that it is only effective for six weeks I think it is to kill pests, but after that it breaks down into something more toxic for people and pets and they didn't, at least at that time, know how long it persisted.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I can't imagine using that smelly stuff in the house. I don't even like using it outdoors, but as long as it's watered well after application it's not too bad. You're right about it only being effective for about 6 weeks. That's why it needs to be reapplied 2-3 times during the blooming season.

I don't know how you would spray a large tree with Neem or Safer. Doesn't seem practical to me.

We have lots of birds and anoles, but they're no match for an infestation of aphids.

• tamivileine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, I'll go with the NEEM. Trees are only about 6' or so tall.

I'm a marine biologist by training, and organophosphates are a real problem in the water (well, everywhere). Since I live on the marsh edge, I avoid spraying ANYTHING unless it's really bad problem. The leaves are all black, poor trees. They're stressed because I just moved them, which I know is dumb in the summer, but it had to be. Plus, they're blooming, and there's bees all over them and I like bees.

thanks
    tami

• pinkie_z8ala
    18 years ago

I like you, Tami! Crape Myrtles are wonderful trees, but they're not worth poisoning our environment - no plant is. Thanks!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths