Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
live_oak_lady

Red Flowers for Louisiana Zone 9?

live_oak_lady
19 years ago

My civil parish (county) is beginning a campaign "Plant the Parish Red".(Guess they didn't see "The Village") Our garden club maintains several flower beds at subdivision entrances etc.

Besides red salvia and red pentas what suggestions can y'all give me on something that does not take too much upkeep?

Coleen

Comments (14)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Do they need to be short? There's lots of salvias besides the one everyone thinks of automatically, and some are short but others aren't. My Odontonema (firespike) is starting to bloom, and it's very definitely red (there's a pink one I hear, but I haven't seen it) but not short. I'll go sleep on it--bet there's lots more but I can't think of any off-hand.
    Nancy

• Pterostyrax
    19 years ago

What about the new, true red Crepe Myrtles? They are stunning, have a long bloom time, and you know how well Crepe Myrtles do in LA. Here's a list of the red varieties, some being more true red than others.

'Tightwad' - 2' true red w/ low, rounded growth habit - a meatball with flowers
    'Cheyenne' - 5'-10' red w/ a hint of pink, but still red
    'Victor' - vibrant reddish-pink, but still red
    'Raspberry Sundae - 10'-15' red, pink, and white all over
    'Red Rocket' - 10'-15' true cherry red
    'Siren Red' - 10'15' oxblood red

• nanadeb1
    19 years ago

Red Verbena does well, low growing covers the ground and keeps weeds out.

• tamivileine
    19 years ago

Cannas!

• LadyLandshaper
    19 years ago

'Knock Out' rose is a cherry red and getting some good press due to its performance & disease-resistance. It is planted at the entrance of a local upscale subdivision and still had blooms in January this year. The Aztec Red verbena is a showstopper, but fizzles out in the summer heat, might be a good one for the cooler months but I have seen the red Tapien series also blooming here during mild winters.

• sherri_louisiana
    19 years ago

One I am growing this year is the native; Cardinal Flower, or lobelia cardinalis. You can't get any more red that that. It's a perennial that prefers moist areas and some shade. Sherri

• glenn9643
    19 years ago

Texas Star
    Dynamite Crepe Myrtle

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You have all been so helpful. I am printing this page and giving it to the head of our Parkways Department at the opening kick-off of this project on Aug. 30. THANKS!
    And, in the meantime, I have a jump on everyone else, because we have already planted our three entrances to our subdivisions (we meaning our garden club.)

• Joeray
    19 years ago

Turk's Cap, lots of red flowers, no upkeep. Takes care of its self.

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

How hardy is Turk's cap? Temperature wise?

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I should go look this up to be sure, but I think Turk's Cap is Malvaviscus. There is one that has larger flowers that's not very hardy--mine died in z9--but there is a form called, I think, M. drummondii, or I should say M. something drummondii, which is totally hardy here. Lots of people who like to garden have it and it grows with little or no care, sun or shade or anything in between it seems. It doesn't bloom very well in the shade, which is where I was told to put mine. I've since been told, and have seen it growing that way, that it does best in sun. Good plant for hummers.

• SprightlyGreen
    19 years ago

I have turk's cap in my backyard. Hummingbirds and butterflies love it. It likes some shade because of the heat. I'm in Old Metaire. It can get very big. My best one is growing under a cypress tree. A Giant Swallowtail visited it today.

Also, red impatiens for shade, red mexican flame/love vine Senecio confusus 'Sao Paulo', cypress vine. That's all I can think of right now.

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sprightlygreen--we're going to visit your yard. It is your parish that is kicking off the "Plant the Parish Red" on Aug. 30.

• drasaid
    19 years ago

It grows like made over any fence or post. If anyone want some cuttings, I have some to trade.

Sponsored