Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leapgirl_gw

Citrus Trees

leapgirl
19 years ago

Does anyone here have recommendations/experience with citrus trees in the ground on the Mississippi Gulf Coast-zone 8b? We're new to the coast and have a great area along the east side of our house where we'd like to plant an orange or tangerine, a lemon and a lime. How about grapefruit - any luck with these in our area?

Comments (9)

• curdog007
    19 years ago

Welcome, I live in Vancleave and have had good success with citrus. I have all but grapefruit. They like plenty of sun but can get by with 4-6 hours. The only problem that I have is whiteflies. I hate to spray but that's the easiest way to control them. I give them a little 13-13-13 in the spring and several good handsfull of pelletted lime. I held off planting citrus for fear of freezing but they have been in the ground for about 7 or 8 years and are doing very well.
    Lynn

• PetuniaBlossom
    19 years ago

Hi, I have a lemon tree. I have had it planted for around 8 years I guess. It does great and I don't have a green thumb. The lemons it turns out are huge. Although I have had problems with some kind of black mold looking fungus on it, like I said I don't have a green thumb. We live right on the coast and during the winter if it gets down to far below freezing we usually throw a tarp over it. Not sure how anyone else deals with freezing conditions.

• leapgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your support. Now I need to find a tree nursery that has a variety of citrus to choose from. Any suggestions?

• tamivileine
    19 years ago

I haven't looked, but Frasier's Nursery on Lemoyne might have something for you. They'll know where to go, if nothing else. It might also be worth a trip to New Orleans.

Try also SATSUMA oranges, they grow them in Louisiana, and if I recall, Satsumas resist the mildews a bit better than most.

sea ya
    tami

• PetuniaBlossom
    19 years ago

I bought my lemon tree from Walmart.

• leapgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tamivileine - We haven't been to Frasier's yet but will certainly stop by there.

Petunia - We live very close to the WM on Pass Rd so I'll give them a look-see when I'm there next tme.

THANKS.

• curdog007
    19 years ago

Lowe's in D'Iberville has a nice selection. Three gallon trees were $12. & 5 gal were about $50.
    Thanks,
    Lynn

• newtie
    18 years ago

Meyer lemon and persian lime in Hattiesburg. My lime tree is on the south side of a small white woodsided house about 20 ft above a small creek. I grew it in a pot for several years then finally planted it in the ground. Gets top growth killed by frost each year, but new growth comes out and blooms in Spring. Usually retains some leaves through the winter. Have to spray with oil for whiteflys. The meyer lemon takes similar culture here. Both have large wonderful fruit. My lemon is still in a pot and I took it in this winter for a few weeks, but will put it in the ground in a couple more years once the trunk thickens up. A friend in Bogalousa has grapefruit every year from seed (a commercial grapefruit) I have seen the plant and eaten grapefruit from it. It is on a south facing board fence. I expect all citrus here will be killed everytime we get an unusually cold winter (below 15 deg). Obviously the secret to getting fruit is to have a variety that blooms late, after all frosts. Oh, Kumquats do great here! Have had mine for years. They are in pots in the yard but I never give them any winter protection. They will get killed back severly every now and then but have always come back. I should add that a wonderful side benefit of citrus are the beautiful, sweet smelling flowers. You can even cook with the lime leaves and use the stems for swizzle sticks.

• beau99
    14 years ago

I live in north Bossier Parish, Louisiana near Shreveport and I have 2 orange trees (one Valencia and one Louisiana Sweet) and my trees are now about 15 ft tall. They produce HUNDREDS of very sweet, juicy oranges every year! People I've given them to say that they're the best oranges they've ever had! I also have a Meyer's lemon that's about 6 ft tall now and it also is VERY productive! If we can grow them here, I see no reason why you'd have trouble doing it too! I give them no special care and they are healthy and VERY productive!

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County