Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taffyj_gw

Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?

taffyj
15 years ago

Hi!

I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning when I saw a purple dragonfly whiz by. I was so surprised I thought I had seen wrong. I have blue ones and green ones, but I didn't even know purple ones existed! I watched it for a while and got the camera and took some pictures when it landed. That was hard to do, because it is very active, and I had to be patient while I was excited.

After a while, I saw it hitched up with another dragonfly, flying over the pond. The female was more of a yellow-brownish color. So, not only did I see it, it was mating! I so hope we get babies!

I looked it up on the internet and found out it is 'Libellula jesseana', and native to Florida, where it is becoming rare and is on the threatened species list. So, what's it doing in central Louisiana? Is there anything I should do other than observe and enjoy?

Please, if there's anyone else who has seen a purple dragonfly, let me know. I'd love to know what it was near, and what the conditions were, like was it alone, or were there many? Was it near a city road ditch, or a stream in a forest.

The info I found on the 'net said it was threatened because it is highly sensitive to pollution. I'm all organic in the backyard, so maybe that's why its hanging around. Thanks for any responses.

Bridget in Alexandria, LA

Comments (16)

• taffyj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again,
    I think I found out how to make the dragonfly pics available to y'all. Let me know if it doesn't work.
    Bridget

Here is a link that might be useful: purple dragonfly

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Worked fine for me. Neat dragonfly! Don't think I've seen any down here--Lafayette--but I don't usually get to look at 'em that close. Seldom see them resting, except occasionally out the window. Dratted cats go after 'em if they get too close! (Don't think they catch any--I hope anyway.)

• mrskjun
    15 years ago

I didn't know they were rare. Something about my garden seems to be a dragonfly haven. I can't think of a color I haven't seen. And some are startling. Like copper and red, cobalt blue and lime green. The purple is beautiful too. I live in Ponchatoula. I'm going to be more observant.

• cassowary43
    15 years ago

Bridget,

Your dragonfly is actually a male Roseate Skimmer (Orthemis ferruginea). It's widespread and common in Louisiana. Your description of the female is right-on for this species. She should have a white stripe down her "back." I'd say observe and enjoy (and keep your pond!). Right now, at least around Lafayette, they are hatching like crazy, so I've seen a lot of young ones (they look like females, but lack flanges on the thorax) around road-side ditches this past week. Take care,

Erik
    Lafayette, LA

• letsharmonize
    15 years ago

i think i have a photo of a purple one somewhere ... i'll try to find it and post

• letsharmonize
    15 years ago

finally found the photo and uploaded ... taken in july in carencro

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1016224}}

• rpbourg
    9 years ago

I actually saw one in Houma for the first time today. Do you know where they came from or how rare they are? I was able to get a close picture of it. I'm not sure how to attach the picture to this message.

• odoeskin1
    8 years ago

I've had red, blue, gold dragonflies at, our creek in the country, near Marble Falls, Texas. I just saw a purple dragonfly at our creek, late this morning. It was so beautiful....I wished I had my camera but I didn't take it with me. I'll try to take a pic if it's still there...this afternoon!

• ricvel59
    8 years ago

I just saw one in the morning in upstate New York. First time I see one.

• Mary Ivankovich
    6 years ago

For the first time in my life, I just saw a purple dragonfly, it was warm and had rained last night, also sunny. It was alone as far as I could see. This was up in Michigan.

• Rhonda LeBlanc
    4 years ago

We have them have in

• Michelle Jeanmard
    4 years ago

I am in Lafayette Louisiana and I just saw your purple/pink dragonfly skim across my pooL. What a treat!!!

• Lesley Keelin
    4 years ago

Yes! We have a new water garden that we started a few months ago - I‘ve only seen one, but it was almost a neon purple. I see lots of babies and medium sized dragon flies around the pond, but here lately I have seen some of the largest dragon flies I’ve ever seen.

• HU-443070414
    3 years ago

I saw a purple dragonfly in South Carolina near Charleston. I live on a pond and only saw one. I was so excited i grabbed my phone to take a photo.

• Erica Williams Cox
    3 years ago

Hi I just saw one here today in Slidell, La!

• Jan Norris
    8 months ago

I saw one at a park in Plant City Fl. Had to take a second look AND call someone else to witness. Lol. Beautiful!!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company