Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tropical fruit trees can I grow in Lake Charles

Posted by southernflower 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 16:59

Hi All,

I am new to the Lake Charles area and am very excited about the tropical plants I can grow here. I recently bought a mango tree from the local Lowe's. The lable reads it's hardy to zone 10. Can I plant it in the ground or do I have to keep it in a container. If I keep it in a container, will it bear fruit?

I am also considering buying a lychee tree, but have the same questions.

Thank you so much for any information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tropical fruit trees can I grow in Lake Charles

Mangos will not survive here. Young mangos will freeze at temps lower than 30 degrees and adult trees will not survive much lower than 25 degrees.
You may want to try bananas and Citrus.

o

I had a friend, she passed, but she had a edible pear tree in her yard. I wanted to have some one graf it to one or to small limbs on my eating pear. However the boys sold the place. You may want to ask around.

Re Mangos, suggest you talk to the university in your area you may possibly put it in a extra large pot when you can put it in a shed for the winter. God Bless

o

Thank you both very much! I will grow my mango in a pot then. I'll try citrus and maybe a pomegranate next year....

Thanks again.

o

Try a LoQuat (spelling?) Not many people eat them here, but they are popular in other parts of the world. Also, Cumquats (spell?) and persimmons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here