Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa455

Gladiolus - cutting foliage and leave in ground or dig up?

lisa455
19 years ago

Last spring I planted several glads in my yard. I left them in the ground this past winter and they came back fine this year. I have read that you are supposed to dig them up and store them. Do any of you just leave them in the ground? How many years would it take for them to decline? Would it be beneficial for me to dig them up and then replant the new bulbs and discard the old bulbs later this fall? Finally, how brown do they have to be before you can safely cut the foliage off? Thanks!

Comments (3)

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

I have kept mine in the ground for about 4 years now. They multiply if you leave them in the ground. They have done well in the garden in Metairie and in Montz (which is usually about 12 degrees colder than Metairie). They are the old-fashioned ones that I bought from Old House Gardens.
    Don't cut the foliage til it's brown as it is feeding the bulb.

• michelleg
    19 years ago

If they bloomed well where they are planted, I would leave them there. Michelle

• jim2k
    19 years ago

Leave them in the ground live oak lady is right.I have left tulp bulbs in the ground here and they came up every year untill my gr. son pull them up bulb and all made me sick but he was just a baby.Good luck JIM

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!