Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone seen this pest ant in Louisiana or Mississipi?

Posted by asj2004 z5 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 04 at 20:16

Hi:

I'm trying to figure out where this ant pest is located. It has many common names including the 'Cut ant' or 'leaf cutter ant' or 'parasol ant' or town ant'.

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg353.html

This type of ants strips the leaves from plants and trees. Does anyone here seen this ant where you are from? I just need the county in Louisiana, the town if possible.

You can email me at kalim1998 (at) yahoo.com, or just reply to this post...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone seen this pest ant in Louisiana or Mississipi?

Yes, we have those "Texas Leaf Cutter Ants" here in southwest and centeral Louisiana. As a matter of fact, both my husband and I are certified to treat them for Boise, the local timber company we do most of our contract work for. We live in Beauregard Parish, but treat pine plantations all over Beauregard and Vernon Parishes. We've had them in Beauregard Parish ever since I can remember, but I have no idea where they come from.

o

Thanks for the response! Do you know whether it is in other parishes? I added the current distribution of the pest ant to this post. Thanks again....I maintain a site dedicated to this critters at http://www.blueboard.com/leafcutters/

...and i am always appreciative of any new info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distribution of Atta texana - 2000

o

I believe they're also active in DeSoto and Jefferson Davis Parishes, but can't be certain. They do seem to prefer the sandy soils in Beauregard and Vernon Parishes, but we have also machine planted pine plantations in DeSoto Parish and I'm pretty sure I've heard some of the foresters talk about problems with them. I'll check with one of the foresters we work with and let you know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here