Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
discobunny_gw

muscadines

discobunny
19 years ago

Have had a self pollinating Carlos and a non pollinating Nichole growing together on a small trellis for 20 years but last year the Carlos died and I am wondering if I plant another pollinator will it be able to grow up underneath the covering Nichole and start doing its work. I liked the two different varietities of muscadines, making pies from both and have missed having any grapes at all this season.

Comments (13)

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Wish I could help. But, tell me, how do you keep the birds from eating your muscadines? They didn't leave me one this year and I was so looking forward to eating the variety "Darlene." And,the vine was loaded with fruit.

• DesireeAF
    18 years ago

Anybody know where i can buy muscadines in louisiana. I want it to make wine. Also i would like to buy vines so I could grwo them where I live.

• dannyboquet
    18 years ago

Call your local nurseries. I think most nurseries would have them, especially in the Spring (March or April). You could even have a neighbor with one start a vine for you by layering. If done now, it would probably be ready by Spring.

• down_south_LA
    18 years ago

I have bought muscadine grapes in Walmart, dried the seeds and have them growing on a fence. I have also bought muscadine plants at Lowes. Here in Covington they are not hard to find. I could start a vine for you. Let me know.

• pecanman
    18 years ago

order them from Ison's nursery in Brooks Georgia. They have the best plants.

• tropco70501
    18 years ago

I will have some sprouted later, just email me and let me know if you want some.

• Louisiana_botanist
    18 years ago

Louisiana Nursery and Cleggs have a variety of muscadine varieties at present. Saw some at the Florida Blvd and Seigen stores respectively last weekend. If Bantings survived Katrina's rath, I'm sure they would have some when they are open.

• DesireeAF
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded to my message. I posted his last year anyway I did find me a muscadine plant at a nursry near parks.

• cgenecren
    17 years ago

Just read your posting. I strongly agree re Ison's nursery. I bought vines and a small book "All About Muscadines" from them some years ago. I think the book is very good. Vines were too. Also, re birds eating your muscadines; I haven't had much trouble with birds. Squirrels and deer are a different story. Good luck.

• deer_hunter132_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Hey guys/gals. I was wondering if i could get a vine from someone. I ate some muscadines last year and well i need to grow my own since they taste so good.

Some tips on making them last would be helpful, as i am not much of a green thumb.

I am in Hammond/Tickfaw area now (from Covington)

• cjones479_cox_net
    12 years ago

I live in the Denham Springs area and looking for someone who has muscadines for sale. I need some to make jelly and jam. Does anyone know where I would be able to buy them?
    Thanks,
    Debra

• soulsearching_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'm east of you Debra and I'll tell ya, at least here in MS they aren't gonna be grown until after the summer, in September.

• TRSHPKR
    12 years ago

We used to work at a mini storage, our owner planted "Carlos" Muscadines, Monarch Butterfly caterpillars REALLY loved them. Birds loved the caterpillars. Squishy Muscadines! We still had handfuls every morning for weeks.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES