Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn9643

Yellow or Green Figs for our climate?

glenn9643
17 years ago

I currently have an LSU Gold and three Celeste's and have noticed that birds don't frequent the LSU Gold. Also reading the fig forum here has me interested in other green or yellow fig varieties that might do well in this area (northern Louisiana). Our winters usually aren't harsh enough to kill the figs back but do occasionally so I'll have everything planted in the ground; I'm more concerned about their tolerance of the blazing August sun and heat along with dry conditions.

Anyone tried any of these varieties with success?

Excel

Alma

Col de Dame

King

Nazarti

Comments (4)

• patzmeow
    17 years ago

I grow a variety called Verde (also called Strawberry) that has good vegetative gowth in south LA. However, it starts to ripen later than Celeste or Brown Turkey and ripens over a long period, so quite a few figs remain unripened when the days start getting to short to fully mature. But one the good side, it is the best tasting fig that I grow. It is also the only fig that I have found which will dry on the tree in this humidity (as long as there is not too much rain). It has a dark red interior. If left to dry partially or fully on the tree it actually tastes like strawberry preserves. The figs ripen slowly, only a few at a time so they are best enjoyed picked an eaten right off of the tree. If you want to make preserves, you need many trees. Birds don't bother them much since they stay green and only change to a slightly lighter green when ripe.

• glenn9643
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I looked over your web page.
    "Fig preserves sold out until Summer 2005"
    You may want to update that entry.

I've ordered cuttings of the five varieties in my initial post from UC Davis, and with some luck maybe will come up with a couple of good ones.

I don't recall seeing any posts from you on the "fig" forum here. Herman has posted a thread there addressing "pinching" or pruning figs. I believe he is in New Jersey and he says proper pruning can help with the problem of figs on the tree without enough warm days to ripen. You might want to check that out.

If the Verde is running short of warm days in Lafayette, I'm sure it would have a problem in Monroe. Thanks again.

Glenn

• newtie
    17 years ago

I grow alma, verde (strawberry), negronne, celeste, and brown turkey in Hattiesburg. Alma, Verde, Negronne, and brown turkey all do exceedingly well here. Negronne (dark purple) has the best flavor followed by alma and verde which are both excellent. Both negronne and verde produce over a long period so some figs will be left unripened when frost hits, but there are plenty that do ripen before that. Brown turkey is very popular but in my opinion the others are tastier. Celeste produces lots of figs but i have yet to find a ripe one on the tree. Don't know why. Figs like lime. I have LSU purple on order and have heard it is an excellent fig.

• glenn9643
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your comments newtie.
    Patzmeow also indicated Verde was a good choice other than needing a longer hot season. I'm sure that in Hattiesburg or Lafayette you could expect a little longer season than here in north Louisiana.
    Hopefully I'll get Alma along with the others listed above from UC Davis this spring. Sadly, there's not much variety available at local nurseries. I bought my LSU Gold from Lowe's here in Monroe and at the time they also had LSU Purple. The LSU Gold is an excellent fig for me, but didn't produce fruit until the fourth year. I've read on the fig forum here that the LSU Purple often requires several years to produce also, but is a good fig.