Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy geraniums for the south

Posted by luvs2plantz8 z8 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 04 at 9:43

i have admired the hardy geraniums i have seen online and in books and was wondering if any would do well in the hot humid south? anybody have any luck with any certain type?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy geraniums for the south

I think it's possible, but I haven't found any. Same with erodiums, a close relative. We have a native rather weedy geranium with tiny little flowers, and I have thought it would be interesting to try to cross it with one of the larger flowered ones, but so far I haven't found one I could keep long enough (assuming I'd get around to it if I did! I have a real shortage of 'round tuits'). Some days I think, there are so many plants that do so well here, why torture plants that don't? and some days I want to expand the limits of what we can all grow.

o

I've have a begonia that is grown for its leaf rather than flower (large deep green with a burgundy under-leaf .. small pink flat flowers) and it has lived outdoors for me for several years now. Its in deep shade and plant the roots very near the surface. I do run out and throw a sheet over it if a frost is expected. And I'm talking of my place here in New Orleans z9 so if you are in z8 ..... ? Why not overwinter a few cuttings inside?
Oh I do know the fancy flowered types simply melt this far south in the summer. Or atleast they all have for me.
Mike

o

No, bigeasyjock---Geraniums.

o

As far as begonias go, I understand lots of gardeners in the Mobile area grow them as 'die-back' perennials; I have some i've kept outside for some years. When we get an unusual amount of cold they can be very late at coming back tho'.

o

Opps! Guess I had begonias on my mind that day :)
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here