Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my Boxwood needs help

Posted by sdogwood 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 04 at 10:27

Hello, thought I'd ask the experienced folks about my shrubs. My old North facing boxwood needs help. Hubby says cut it back anytime of the year but I'm not sure about this. When do I prune and how? Thanks in advance.

hope this photo works

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my Boxwood needs help

You don't want to have new fresh growth going into winter so stop cutting soon (or now). Also tell the hubby to reach into the plant with hand prunners and cut back branches within the bush. This allows light and air to enter the cavity of the bush and allow new branches to grow. If you continue to "hedge" a plant (any plant) with hedge prunners after while all you will have is growth right at the tips (the outer edge) of the bush and when a section browns up and dies (and it happens) you will have no growth within the plant to take the dead spots place.
Hope that made sense. :)
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here