Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phill_la

Reporting from New Orleans

phill_LA
19 years ago

actually Marrero (south of N.O.)

Thank God we were spared the worst of Ivan. Thoughts and prayers to those who were not spared.

We still have power but about 35,000 or more don't. Now fortunatly I have the task of bring all the plants and other things back outside. But I am so thankful that I can do that, no complaints.

Thanks to all for the tips, even though I've been through it before. Sometimes in the haste and worry we can forget some of the simple things. I think I will go back through all the post and write a complete list (on computer and paper) for the next time. And hope there isn't a next time, but I know better.

Again......I am soooooo thankful that we did all the prep work for nothing.

I hope that our neighbors just west of here are able to recover quickly and return to normal.

Thanks again

Phillis

:-)

Comments (10)

• deep_south_gardener
    19 years ago

Hey Phillis,
    We live on the Westbank of NO. We too are thankful that
    God spared us a direct hit. We stayed in town and except
    for some strong winds and a little rain it was not
    much worse than a thunder storm. Our thoughts and prayers
    are with those traveling back home and those who were
    in Ivans path. Ya'll take care and God bless.

Brenda

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Be certain to water all the pots and garden plants very well. It seems as though Ivan sucked all the moisture out of everything in the New Orleans metro area.
    Light a candle, say a prayer, do a dance....thank God we were spared.

• janet_la
    19 years ago

I second Coleen on the watering. I felt like an idiot, but yesterday afternoon I was outside watering in the wind. New growth on my roses was drooping badly - I'm sure the wind was drying them out. I've lived here all my life and been through many hurricanes/tropical storms, but this was a first for me: we got absolutely NO rain!

• mrskjun
    19 years ago

Not a drop here either Janet. I watered all my pots and things yesterday, but I'm going to have to run the sprinklers today. I certainly don't mind. We were prepared for it to be so much worse. And for all those folks who evacuated, you did the right thing. Just a couple of degrees to the west and New Orleans would still be under water.

Betty

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

I was amazed that we got zero rain too. I work at Kool 95.7 and helped out on WWL 870am from Tuesday - Thursday (slept here at the station). I got home late Thursday and by the time I got to looking after the potted plants I discovered my figs all shriveled up! Amazing with a monster of a hurricane not more than 70 miles off the mouth of the river and I had plants dry up from lack of rain!
    And yes we should all count our blessing. I have friends in Fl. who are still in hotels waiting to be allowed back "home". Its the not knowing what they will return to that is the worst.
    Mike

• phill_LA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi bigeasyjock,
    The only time I listen to the radio is in the car on the way to work, and I listen to 95.7, the KOOL wake up club.
    95.7 is the best.
    And yes, all my plants were very dry too.
    Phillis

• drasaid
    19 years ago

My plants are soaked.
    The ornamental sweet potato vine I filched from the trash yesterday will go nuts. You know you can grow that from just a foot or so of stem? Just bury it water and wait.
    Sly peeks at gardening magazines will show that the ornamental sweet potato (blackie, the apple green one, or the new varigated one) is used a LOT to perk up beds.
    The plants in the back (and the huge oak tree) must be happy about the rain as well.
    Looking forward to the fall, and love y'all.

• soundgarden
    19 years ago

We went to Colorado for 10 days and I was shocked when I came home and all of my containers were fine. I thought for sure that the new plants I bought in the 2 inch plastic pots would have been toast, but only one plant died.
    Now as far as my plants in the ground...
    Annie

• cilla_la
    19 years ago

I too live on the west bank, Gretna. I teach at Helen Cox. We are really getting enough rain now. I think my plants are drowning. My Roses are getting black spot and I am waiting for the rain to stop to spray.

• phill_LA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi cilla,
    I work in Personnel, wish I was retiring soon. Yes everything is drowning now. Then soon we will be complaining about not getting enough rain. I do have a rain barrel and try to give the plants rain water whenever I have it. I sure am looking forward to cooler weather at the end of this week.
    Phillis

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor