Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
launa06

Anyone re-doing landscaping after Katrina???

launa06
17 years ago

Hello all! I was amongst the many unfortunate people whose home and yard were destroyed by Katrina. Although we are back in the house now, my yard is a nightmare and I am starting completely over with my landscaping (I lost nine oak trees and all of my shrubs--- what the salt water didn't kill, the contractors did!) Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else out there is along the coast and has tried replanting/landscaping since the storm. If so, have you had any new problems? Is there anything new and special that I need to do to prep the soil since it was submerged in salt water and river sludge? I am covering beds now(to kill the array of weeds)and plan to plant in the spring. I would be grateful for any advice ya'll can offer.

Comments (4)

• laplanter
    17 years ago

We are doing the best we can to put our place back in shape. Mother Nature can sure be amazing- both in beauty & destruction. Our property got wind damage & it is unreal the change it made. We have gone from almost full shade to full sun. We have 5 acres & lost several hundred big trees. The biggest new problem is the weeds!! We have been taken over by dog fennel. It is awful & super strong.
    As for fixing your soil, I would contact the nearest operating extension office for help. A soil sample test will tell what you need to do.
    We just planted 5 oaks, 3 magnolias & a river birch last weekend. Didn't make a dent in the wide open space we have & these were not tiny trees.

Good luck!

• louisianagal
    17 years ago

i wish you the best. my home and yard/gardens were destroyed in violet La in St. Bernard Parish. What a loss and I can't go back. Dan Gill is still around in La. and I think still does a Saturday call in radio show. He is great and very involved with the recovery in the horticultural part of it. In Mississippi you can contact Dr. Dirt and Felder Rushing on Miss. Public Broadcasting NPR radio, they have a show and answer all emails. You can also contact MSU via msucares website. Bless you and I hope your area comes back strong - ours didn't.

• southerndrive
    17 years ago

My friend also lost everything to salt water and sludge. Everything except the 3 young ornamental pear trees in her front yard. They continue to thrive.

I lost everything to wind, so I am basing my decisions about my new yard and gardens on trees, shrubs and plants that survived wind, water and drought - just in case.

Perhaps ornamental pears would be a nice selection.

• austennut
    17 years ago

I lost my place in St. Bernard and started over again at a property in New Orleans. But since I had to tear out the concrete backyard, I didn't have to deal with some of the change in soil issues that others have. But when City Park and the botanical gardens sent out a press release asking for materials they said, "The following list contains the initial assessment of plants needed to replace our collection lost to Hurricane Katrina. Our crape myrtles, crinums, bamboos, palms, and citrus generally fared well through the flooding. We are still cautiously optimistic about the fate of our collections of ornamental grasses." So this might give you an idea of plants to use.

Posting with info on N.O. Botanical Gardens is where I culled the info from. It also lists the plants that they lost. Not to say that you should avoid them, but at least be aware that they don't make it through Katrina. Granted, not much did.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax