Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feed the hummingbirds!!

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 05 at 13:43

Not just people and pets that are displaced from the storm. Hummingbirds usually build thier nests near water. I have two feeders out now and the hummers are fighting one another like crazy being territorial. I'm going to hang another this afternoon. I don't think I have ever had so many hummingbirds. So if you live in the anywhere surrounding the affected areas, hang some feeders.

Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feed the hummingbirds!!

Betty, the southern migration is at its peak, that's why you're seeing so many birds.

Oh, and in case you don't keep your feeders up year round, give it a try this year. South Louisiana hosts many hummers from the northwest in the fall through spring.

o

It is true about migration, but nothing like this. This phenom started after Katrina. I always have feeders out. Unless you saw this you couldn't believe the numbers.

Betty

o

Betty, my relatives in Biloxi have put up their 4 hummingbird feeders and said they've never seen so many before either.

They said that in their area there are no flowers left on any plants, so all the hummers close by must be flocking to their feeders! Post some pics if you can!!

o

Yes, our I have to constantly refill our feeders, alothough I only have 2 -- it doesnt last very long. My grandmother just lives down the road and this past Wed. there were about 8-10 birds sharing a feeder, just swarming around it, I wish I had my camera then -- what a beautiful site.

o

We quit filling ours because my elderly neighbor said they'll stay if you continue to feed them & won't migrate like they're supposed too. In the last several weeks, I've noticed the hummers have come back. My husband and I are wondering if we should feed them or not so they'll migrate on schedule. Anyone?

o

Hummers follow their own clock. Keep that feeder up year round and you might find that you have winter migrants from the northwest.

o

Kathy, here's more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: migration

o

Hanart, I liked that article.
I got to thinking that I haven't seen any hummers since Rita hit. I had been seeing some before the hurricane. I wonder if they will return..They must of known and left?
I know my own birds were going nuts and right before Katrina and again ,a day before Rita, my yellow nape amazon did a strange thing- he made a tent out of his newspaper from the bottom of his cage (draped it across the perch) and hid inside of it!! I had never seen him do that before or since lol. Birds are smart.
~SJN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here