Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing a Date Palm from Date seed!

Posted by suzannalily 8B (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 14:00

I have purchased a few succulent Medjool dates from the Whole Foods grocery in New Orleans, and stuck the seeds into a pot of good soil. Kept the soil from drying totally out, and have 4 sprouted seeds already, (5 weeks or so). They do take a while to germinate, and when, will send a tall green leaf reaching upward. Once long ago I grew a date palm plant from a seed I happened upon in a box of pasteurized dates, but this is a rare event. There is nothing quite as sweet and delicious as the Medjool date, and the seeds must be fresh too, as they are coming up for me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing a Date Palm from Date seed!

So then, these have sprouted already?

o

Dates probably won't ever put out fruit where you are. They are grown in Arizona and the desert of Southern California. Florida has date palms, but they never produce dates due to the humid climate.

Nice trees, though, and nice to know you can grow them from the seeds.

o

what sort of dates can be grown in nc?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here