Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

Good garden books for MS Gulf Coast area

wodka
16 years ago

After living in limbo for the last two years since losing everything in Katrina, I am so excited that we will be moving into our new house within the month. That means brand new yard to decorate. The lot has absolutely no trees, so it will definitely be a blank canvas. Would love to hear what books fellow readers and neighbors have used to plan their landscape and flowerbeds, or any new plant or flower that you absolutely love. I have my favorites, but love learning about new finds. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• mpcrowe
    16 years ago

Congrats on moving in! We are also still displaced, plan to return soon.

My absolute favorite book for gardening in the gulf south is "Gardening in the Humid South" by O'Rourke and Standifer. It has really made me understand the importance of developing good soil structure in semitropical environs.

As for landscaping near the beach,... I am planning to do the same thing in a few weeks. Before the storm I had planted citrus in the back yard. They have performed wonderfully over the last several years. If anything, they have been invigorated by the storm (better light, new soil, fewer bugs???). I am plannig to add more citrus in sunny, south facing protected location. I'm not sure what I'll be putting in the front yard, but I'm done with Azaleas as the soil is too sandy. I'll maybe replace with Camelias.

Best of luck to your new yard. Be bold and try something different, after all what do have to loose?

• wodka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mpcrowe, thanks so much. Would you believe I had that book ("Gardening in the Humid South"), and referred to it often, until 8/29/2005. Thanks for reminding me - I will put that on my list to buy.

I'm over azaleas, too. I think they are so beautiful for the short time they bloom, then they look like paper mache and are a mess. I love camellias, and also gingers of all kinds.

Thanks and keep in touch.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville