Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjv78736

Katrina

sjv78736
18 years ago

i just wanted to stop by and say that i am so sorry for the tragedy your states have endured. i lived for a yr in lake charles, and Ms is one of my favorite places to visit. it is hard to see the destruction there. having lived many years in pensacola. i thought i'd seen what a 'cane can do. but this is just awful. our prayers go out to all who have been affected by the storm.

Jo

austin, texas

Comments (35)

• nettles17
    18 years ago

I think they censored all of the Katrina posts. I got notice that mine was...

• Kathy Johnson
    18 years ago

I also got a "friendly reminder" about a post I made. Now, I can't find that thread or any of the ones about Katrina. It's a shame we can't have civilized opinions without getting these reminders. Why take away all the Katrina threads...or am I just missing them?

• nettles17
    18 years ago

I think because no plants were mentioned. So I hope everyone and your plants are safe and well!!!

• danbo
    18 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll mention plants so we can keep it open. I live in Diamondhead, just north of I-10 and the Bay of St Louis. Though we were lucky enough to be above the storm surge. The winds took down 2 25 year old live oaks, and a mature magnolia. I've spent much of this week trying to pull the trees off crinums and gingers. I think I can dig up one palm and replant it upright, ditto a banana.

• sjv78736
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the thoughts are warmly wished, danbo; round these parts we have had you guys on our minds alot. am sorry to hear about ur plants, hope those that survived make a full recovery.
    jo

• merriss
    18 years ago

Please do notlet these."friendly reminders'..EVER scare you..
    I promise you not one word of what I said was to offend any American or those wanting to be!!.I stand firm on that! I only wanted to help.
    I worked at the Huggo and Andrew sites.I was raised in one of those sites..small community..went there and took..WATER..that was what I was taught as a R.N. that our body could not go without.I think back and wish that I was not this old dying woman that could have done more. My home is open..to anyone that needs it.
    HOW DARE..how very DARE..any message be deleted..that might bring hope to anyone that might get online and look for any THREAD..that might give them HOPE!!
    I look at local sites that do "blessings."..etc..why have they not been removed??? I agree we must be thankful to God and I am..but aso..why should we be be deleted for wanting the very same things? Blessings on those who need it?
    YOu all keep, keeping on!! What about..Plants offered instead of Help..or Homes..or HOPE??
    "SCUSE" me but God Bless America..and can I help you?? Sure hope those words are not the "things of the past">
    I am watching the local news and one brave Naval Officier just said.."God Help Us All" Amen !
    Bring it on..I will spend any amount it takes to exercise my right to continue helping others.. Hope you will, also!

• merriss
    18 years ago

I want to tell you that Millions are wanting to share our "plants" with you..YOU name your need..we are there !!!
    God Bless America

• lilyroseviolet
    18 years ago

I would like to share my fall garden with someone who needs to be around a garden that would like to come see it that lost theirs in the Katrina Hurricane. I need help weeding and harvesting, email me if you are interested. The garlic still needs to be planted and new garden beds need to be made. A good 3 months of work if I found the right person to help me out.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I too was sorely distressed to find the Katrina threads missing--I wasn't personally affected but many of our good GARDENING friends on this site surely have been, and I was hoping to hear from them. Also it was touching and comforting to read all the expressions of support from our GARDENING friends all over the world. I'm afraid for a lot of the plants and gardeners in New Orleans and in the many smaller towns along the coast of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. I will have plants to share when you get home and are ready to plant. It seems to me since there was no mention of religion or politics except in general ways, and since we have no conversation forum, the only way we can voice our support is here. Did someone complain to the folks in charge, do you suppose?

• deep_south_gardener
    18 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    Thanks for all the post. My family and I are in the New
    Orleans area. On the westbank of the Metro area. Harvey.
    Our home has wind and water damage and mold and mildew
    are taking over as we speak. My husband and I work at
    West Jefferson Hospital and have been here at work since
    before the storm with only short visits to our home to
    pick up clothes and clean out the fridge. There's so
    much to do and very little time. We are locked down
    at night for our protection so we can't go home and
    do any cleaning or repairs after dark. We do have
    power and water back on in my neighborhood. Thank
    God and Entergy for that. So that my post does not
    get bumped I'll just add this my yard and garden are
    a mess to say the least and my plan to redo the front garden this month is on hold. At least I still have
    a yard and garden to fret over. It will take at least
    6 months to a year to do the repairs on the house. I can't imagine those who have nothing left. I can only pray that
    someone will take them in or give them a hand to
    help them sort things out and get back on their feet.
    Clean up will be hard because there's no place to go
    with the trash. No trash pickup has been scheduled
    and the ants and maggots are taking over. It must be
    unbelievable in New Orleans where human waste, trash,
    and bodies are still being found. I can't bring
    myself to even look at new footage of the area.
    Please keep those in LA and MS in your prayers
    and help in anyway you can. Remember when things
    calm down gardeners in these areas will want to
    rebuild their gardens that bring them so much
    pride and have great theraputic qualities. Alot
    of them will need help or cuttings to help re-
    establish their yards. Again, thank you and God
    Bless. My prayers are with those in both states
    and those who are in both of these areas helping.

Brenda
    Harvey, La

• rosacentifolia
    18 years ago

Nancy and Brenda, I agree totally to your remarks! When all is stopped, discussion on the forums will be a help, not only by talking but more by giving informations. Therefore I think it is not rightful to remove the posts in these situations. But it is my personal opinion and not a criticisme.
    Gardening will certainly come back!
    rosacentifolia

• jim2k
    18 years ago

A-Men and God bless us all.Lost my shed and maybe afew roses but thats nothing like some folks lost.God Bless everyone Jim

• wildflower
    18 years ago

It's been several days since I've checked in here, but I see my post titled "hurricane assistance" was pulled also (I never got the "friendly reminder")...I was looking for any links out there to help my relatives from Biloxi.

Since we must talk PLANTS, they are back down there now trying to salvage some of their belongings, and they said all of their plants looked like they'd been "freeze dried". Even though the flood waters (somehow) never managed to reach them, the winds blew most of the leaves off everything. They had loads of potted plants, but said that hardly any of them are worth trying to save.

I'm glad to see some of who were affected by Katrina checking in here...I wish you the best.

• sjv78736
    Original Author
    18 years ago

danbo, brenda, jim -
    it is good to know you survived the storm. best wishes for the future.
    wildflower - i hope your relatives in biloxi are well.

• lisa455
    18 years ago

My condolences to everyone who lost PLANTS in Katrina. I grew up in New Orleans and have lots of family affected. My PLANTS are all fine, as I live 60 miles west of N.O.

• Linda_8B
    18 years ago

Some of the refugees in San Antonio are being fed by the Mexican armed forces. Yes, strange as it may seem, it's true. First time they've marched into San Antonio since the Revolution, I believe. Gee, I wonder if they're making enchiladas and tacos. Oh Lord, now I'm getting hungry, got to stop thinking about that. But I wanted to offer seeds to any hurricane survivor who wants help rebuilding their garden. See my trade page.

• janet_a
    18 years ago

i seem to recall the hurricane threads were pulled off the florida gardening forum last year as well, but i don't remember if that was pre- or post-iVillage.

(((((((((((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))))))))))))

to all you flood zone folks, and your plants and pets too.

• nettles17
    18 years ago

Good to see this post is still here!! Just want ya'll to know, before the storm I put some Rose of Sharon 'Lucy' and some Night blooming Jasmine in water, and they have both rooted. If anyone wants these or anything else, let me know. My mom is visiting here (NC) at the end of the month and she can bring some back to Shreveport. The way I see it, you can take the girl out of Louisiana, but you can't take Louisiana out of the girl...let me know if I can help!!! (and ofcourse ya'll and your plants are all in my thoughts and prayers)
    Carolyne

• danbo
    18 years ago

I know what you mean by the freeze dried look. I have two Japanese Maples that seem to have survived. But the leaves are shriveled up and lifeless. So many surviving plants look like that. That or they have no leaves at all.

• moonsheller
    18 years ago

There is hope for many of your plants if the roots were not innundated with salt water. Here in SC after Hugo we had leafless trees (if they were still standing) and dead looking plants. Almost everything except the annuals came back from the roots. As a gardener, the hardest part was waiting for spring and not having the solace of the garden while we went through the clean up. And seeing so much sky where mature trees had been. My heart goes out to all of you.

• curdog007
    18 years ago

Thanks so very much for your prayers and concerns. I am the secretary of the Mississippi Master Gardeners and have been in contact with the rest of the state officers. As expected they have offered their concerns and willingness to help in the restoration. For now, I believe it is a planning effort since there is a massive cleanup starting here on the Coast. My thoughts are for next spring, hopefully after the mountains (I do mean mountains) of trash that is being moved. We are fortunate to have many public green areas but they will have to be completely restored. I plan to work with MS State Univ. to start a public nursery that will be the seed bed for restoring the landscape. We will need millions of plants to make this recovery possible and your genorsity with you pass-a-long plants will be appreciated and expediate this effort. Presently, we are in the brain storming process but I have thoughts of acres of start up plants. Justing the beginning. I'll keep you posted.
    Lynn

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

I am moving to Georgia from Florida, and am taking tons of plants with me that I will offer to the victims to rebuild their gardens. I'm also going to volunteer with the Red Cross and go wherever I'm needed for six months. I'll clear rubble out of gardens, whatever else needs to be done. I'll plant, trim, fertilize, whatever...

Yes, the hurricane threads were deleted last year, but the Florida forum was given a conversation forum at that time to discuss the hurricanes. Maybe you guys should ask for one?

Maybe I'll ask for you.

• wildflower
    18 years ago

Lynn, I will gladly donate some plants. Just let me know when you're ready.

Danbo, I've sent you an e-mail and can have the relatives bring some plants to the Biloxi area if you'd be able to get there to pick them up.

• basil_davis
    18 years ago

Maybe some can post pictures of before and after the hurricanes and pictures after you start rebuilding your garden.

Anybody here have gardens under water now are were under water?

• columbiasc
    18 years ago

We have a thread running on the Carolina Gardening Forum about Contaminated Soil and there is a lot of interest in sending you folks seeds, starts, etc. when you get back on your feet. So, when you are ready, pop on over to our forum and tell us what you need to restore your lovely gardens.

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Be sure to post on the Georgia forum when you are ready to start receiving plants. Be sure to let us know what else you need.

• deep_south_gardener
    18 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    Good to hear from all of my friends here at Garden Web.
    My garden looks "freeze dried" as well. With so much to
    do inside my garden will take a back seat for some
    time, but I know it will bounce back. Who knows after
    all is rebuilt we may be looking for a new zone
    to garden in. We're going to North Carolina to visit
    my son at his newly adopted university in a couple
    of weeks. I may check out the local real estate and
    nurseries while we're there. Would North Carolina
    still be considered a southern state? I can't
    imagine being anything less than a southerner.
    Who could live without beniets, grits, shrimp
    poboys, and drive through daiquiri shops? Not
    I.
    Just kidding. Where ever the Lords plants me
    is where I'll bloom. (Just hope it's southern)
    We have at least 6 months to a year of home
    repairs to do. After that it's anybody's guess.
    Well I gotta run, there's mildew growing as
    we speak. Ya'll take care and I'll stay in touch.

Brenda
    Harvey, LA
    (on the westbank of New Orleans)

• nettles17
    18 years ago

Brenda, I'm in Cary, NC, (suburb of Raleigh) and I and my husband are La natives (Shreveport, the yankees of La). If you are coming to this area, let me know if there is anything we can do to help. We love it here, and yes, we are considered still in the south:)
    Carolyne

• TheBookworm
    18 years ago

Katrina destroyed my back yard. We have only been in this house 2 years & just started to reclaim the neglected property. Several HUGE live oaks are down in the back & our work shop/garden shed was smashed & the plants and my new tiny garden attempts are gone or dead or under the oaks. We are so fortunate compared to so many that I hesitate to even complain, our house & family & pets are all fine. But I cried this afternoon over the fallen oaks, then went to bed. I just couldn't face it. My husband & kids were all out there trying to cut them & drag them to the road & I just fell apart. We bought this old house in large part because of the big old beautiful trees & the large back yard. It will be awhile before I can even think of gardening again, but thanks for letting me vent. My heart goes out to those who lost so much more.

• Kathy Johnson
    18 years ago

I thought about hosting (& then decided not to because I've got too much going on right now) a swap for Katrina victims over on the Round Robin Forum. I'll 'say' my thoughts on it in case anyone else would be interested in hosting something similiar.

I didn't know if I was going to host it now, right before/around Christmas, or wait a few months for people to get back into their homes & have had time to start cleaning.

This swap would have been for the whole family & not just for an individual. They would have given me a list of their immediate family members (living with them) & alittle description about each one - hobbies, etc. Also a list of what each person needed. Of course, plants & seeds & other garden related items could also be included.

I wanted to include those people living in the 'projects' & other places, not just the people with gardens. I didn't care if they were members of GardenWeb, but I drew a blank as to how you'd be able to make sure they were from New Orleans (esp. if they had to relocate).

Is anyone interested in doing something like this? I'd love to foster someone if so.

• danbo
    18 years ago

Thanks to everyone who offered plants. But right now between trying to bring my work place back. Moving the fallen trees. And reparing the roof, fence and pool. It's enough just to try to save the plants burried under the debris. Maybe later.

Brenda. On your way to NC. If you happen to pass down I-10. And Diamondhead, MS. There's someone who would love a good fried shrimp po boy. (Me) Make it a Piece Maker. Butter the french bread, mayo, bacon, fried shrimp, american cheese, ketchup, hot sauce, horse radish, touch of lemon juice, pickles. Forget having your colestorol checked for a few days after. It would be a nice treat after all these MRE's.

BTW I did take pictures of the yard for the insurance folks.

There is a ray of hope. A strange thing is happening. Many spring flowering plants are beginning to bloom again. The oriental magnolia, what's left of the bradford pear. Plus the cypress vine is blooming like crazy, on schedual.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

There is a ray of hope. A strange thing is happening. Many spring flowering plants are beginning to bloom again. The oriental magnolia, what's left of the bradford pear...

Dh said the same thing about the Bradford Pear. He drove to Pascagoula and Columbia today to deliver clothes and essentials left behind on the last rig some co-workers worked. He said the live oaks were stripped bare and what leaves were left were brown. Hopefully, most of those will recover. Who knew that the skunky Bradford Pear would offer a ray of hope!

• down_south_LA
    18 years ago

I would love to participate in a Katrina Plant swap,I have lost most of my plants and a water garden. But I will have to wait also, it is taking all my strength just to come home from work and pick up tree tops and debris from all over the yard. We lost 77 pine and oak trees. I have no idea the loss of camelias yet. Most a still lying on the ground, under much larger trees. It will take some time to get the yard back in shape. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
    Nita, Covington LA

• danbo
    18 years ago

Just had the live oaks and Magnolia removed. The tree removal crew was almost as bad as the storm. No respect for crinuma, gingers, roses or anything else. I suspect when I can get the fence replaced we'll go through something similar.

• MissSherry
    18 years ago

I live just north of Wiggins, MS, and I thought that since I'm 35 miles inland, I wouldn't have too much severe damage to my trees and other plants - wrong!! It looks like 10 tornadoes went through here. I didn't think I'd ever live to see a hurricane worse than Camille, but I did! We live on 5 1/2 wooded acres, and we're in the process of having trees removed - we couldn't even get in the house right after the storm for the fallen trees in the way. And I know what you mean about the crews doing a lot of damage Danbo, same here. I've got a man with a chainsaw coming tomorrow, and I've tagged all the trees that should not be cut with red and those that should with green. I've ordered a lot of trees to fill in the gaps - helps with my depression to be able to look forward to growing some trees and shrubs I wasn't able to grow before, because I didn't have enough room or sunlight.
    Here're some pictures -
    {{gwi:485473}}
    {{gwi:1016434}}
    {{gwi:485471}}
    {{gwi:1016435}}
    {{gwi:1016436}}
    Sherry

Sponsored