Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who grows English peas?

Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 15:55

I'm a little late for a fall crop, but think I'd like to try them for the spring. How tall do they get? How much support is needed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who grows English peas?

Mendel would be proud. Any SE soils wil require organic amendments.

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/English_Pea.htm

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 23:13

Alex, I decided to wait until January to plant for a spring crop.

o

I had a nice crop of snap peas last year. Does that count? I planted the seed in raised beds in mid February here. It took several weeks to come up, but it did. I harvested a good many peas until it turned hot. I will do it again this year. The vines were only about 3 feet tall. (Melting Sugar was the variety.) I grew them on my tomato cages.

English pea varieties come in dwarfs to giants, but I think the old fashioned kinds get about six feet. I have read that ALL peas should be staked no matter how "dwarf" they are supposed to get. This is probably because picking is easier. The vines will grow into a snarly mess without support.

o

Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 12:24

Thanks Donna! The variety I picked up is a dwarf called Alaska. I'll be sure to give it some kind of support.

o

You can plant them now for a spring crop. It takes an exceptionally cold winter to freeze them after they are up..I always plant them in the fall. I'm in zone 8b.

o

Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 13:53

Newtie, when do you start harvesting in the spring?

I'm going by the "cultural recommendations" chart from the LSU Ag Center. It has planting dates of 9/1 - 9/15 for a fall planting or 12/15 - 1/31 for the spring.

o

I planted them Jan. 27. I think they are ready to pick now. This was new to me.

o

Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 15:26

I've been harvesting mine for the past two weeks.

o

Hi,
I have some recipes for peas but they are all good for English Pea. I 've had really nice ones when I was in Turkey but I can't seem to find similar. They are big and definitely not sweet. It is hard to eat those when they are raw. I got the latin name of it from one of the Agriculture Engineer but it comes up as "Garden pea" -Pisum sativum ssp. sativum- which is too general to find anything in that family.
I will be growing peas for the first time (it will be next year since Houston is too hot to plant right now). What would you suggest for English pea? I am looking for the ones with big peas and without that sugary sweet taste.
thank you

o

I grew them for the first time this Spring. I used Burpeeana Early Green peas, and direct seeded them on March 3rd. I was disappointed in the yield, but SO pleased with the flavor! My plants only got about 8 - 10 inches tall, but they were beautiful. In the fall, I want about an acre of them, they were so delicious! I simply boiled them for a short time with a little salt, and they were perfect. My 10-month old grandson loved them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here