Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
live_oak_lady

Live Oaks and Hurricane Katrina

live_oak_lady
18 years ago

There is great natioanl interest about our live oaks surviving Hurricane Katrina. Anyone who has a registered live oak with the Live Oak Society and lost the oak should report it to the Society so it can be duly noted. Hopefully there won't be many. I was interviewed by NPR last week and people called from all over the US to inquire about our national treasure. The LSU Reveille also ran a story today on the status of the oaks. It is still difficult to get around the New Orleans area but I can report that the President of the Live Oak Society survived well. "Seven Sisters" estimated to be 1200 years old, lives in Mandeville, LA two blocks from Lake Pontchartrain. She is raggedy looking with all her leaves blown off, but her branches are intact. You can view her in all her splendor on our website at Anyone with a live oak in trouble is encouraged to reach me through this mediium or e-mail me at CPL70600@aol.com.

Coleen Perilloux Landry

Chairman, Live Oak Society

Comments (5)

• curdog007
    18 years ago

It was reported in the Sun Herald that a number of Live Oaks that survived Katrina on the beach front of Biloxi/Gulfport were removed by some nitwit dozer operator.
    I want to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

I was so afraid to ask about "seven sisters"!!! Thanks for letting us know it's o.k.

Our town enacted an oak tree ordinance a couple of years ago, because we have so many getting destroyed by development, but it's not getting enforced when the big box stores come in. The Wal-Mart site claim two of our "heritage" trees. The Home Depot site alone claimed over 5,000 trees, including three "heritage" trees. It's such a shame.

Charley killed so many of our live oaks last year, including the top of mine! It takes 100 years to grow one, and only a brief moment to lose it, unfortunately.

That's awful about the lost oaks in Biloxi!

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I worry about the long-range effects of all that polluted water on our beautiful oaks (and our beautiful Gulf!) I imagine they can handle the human wastes and such, but petro-chemicals and all the other nasties in the water can't possibly be good, for people, plants, or wildlife. I saw some kind of water-quality expert say he was sure the water being pumped into the lake would kill all the fish very quickly.

• live_oak_lady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Greenelbows, except for the oil spill in St. Bernard Parish, the only pollution that was in the water that came in from the levee breaks was sewerage contamination. The rain in the hurricane saturated the ground and was clean. Once the pumps began working the water that came in from the levee breach was pumped out. Hopefully, there was such a volume of water that the pollutants were diluted. I am such an optimist,however. Now, if only I had more than one pair of shoes saved from my closet I might feel better about my usual optimism.
    Today, I hope to tour the City Park area and the St. Charles Avenue area in a police car to photograph the oaks. Perhaps I can do a picture page on the Live Oak Society website, after I find a store that has survived to buy a pair of shoes. Laugh---or else you'll cry!!

• curdog007
    18 years ago

My son lost several old pecan trees. While I was over there this morning cutting them I noticed two of his very old live oaks had put on a new flush of leaves. I knew it would probably happen but I thought it would take more than three weeks. I noticed my kumquat(sp) has fruit that is half grown and is also in full bloom. We'll see a lot of new growth after all this stress.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths