Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holly Fern and orange bugs

Posted by riverrat1 z9a LA coastal (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 04 at 18:59

I have noticed for the last few weeks that a holly fern I have is looking pretty bad. So I was inspecting it, finding an orange 1/4 of an inch bug. At first I thought it was a spider. Upon closer inspection it's got 6 black legs and 2 antenna. My husband thinks it's an aphid (I now have one captured in a glass jar sitting by my desk), but I'm not so sure. Although this fern is planted in an urn with english ivy, so it's a possibility it could be aphids. The leaves of the fern are turning brown on the edges and it looks like something is munching on them. The ivy looks o.k.! Help! What do I do? Make my own soap mixture or go to the store and get something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holly Fern and orange bugs

If it is aphids (there are some that are orange - check out the pictures at ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/
ornamentals/aphids.html) insecticidal soap is the mildest and good to start with.

o

My daughter had those bugs and Dan Gill told her they were harmless. Try 2 tablespoons Dawn liquid to a gallon of water and use a spray bottle. It can't harm anything. Someone told me to do that for whitefly and it surely did help.

o

If Dan Gill says these bugs are not harmful, then I know I can save this fern. He writes a column in Louisiana Gardener that I enjoy reading every month! I will try the dish water solution. Thanks guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here