Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting zinnia seed heads

Posted by janet_ms z7Ms. (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 04 at 20:08

I'm moving in the next few days and am trying to save all the seeds from my zinnias that I can. I've been saving seed from them more years than I care to think about. I've always waited till they turned brown before collecting them, but does anyone know if I can go ahead and cut them and let them dry while they are still colored and the stems are still green?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting zinnia seed heads

My father used to cut them for seed while they still had color. You can put them in zip lock bags (if the flowers are fully mature) and they'll stay good. Don't seal the bag all the way yet. Wait until the moisture has left the flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here