Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paige0415

Flowering Maple

paige0415
16 years ago

We have a flowering maple tree that we planted in our backyard last fall. It's grown quite tall but it has very few leaves and seems a little leggy. Should we try to feed it, or maybe cut it back?

Comments (2)

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

Most folks don't recommend feeding in the fall becoz the plant is winding down and won't be actively growing, but to feed in the spring, like feb or march if in south louisiana. Cutting it back can really mess up the shape so make sure you read and think more about that. Lots of plants get leggy if they need more sun and arent' getting it. So perhaps it is in too much shade. If it's small you could move it, or try to limb up the other trees shading it, if that is an option to give it more sun.

• lisa455
    16 years ago

These plants like part sun. Mine did not do well in full sun. It was leggy and the leaves looked washed out and had brwon spots. Now it is in rich soil close to my house where it gets part sun and is doing very well. There are other lants in front of it that shade its roots. The botanical name is abutilon. You will probably need to move it to a protected area. They can have frost damage in zone 9 where I live.