Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any gardeners in the McComb/Tylertown area?

Posted by deep_south_gardener z9b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 20:31

Hey ya'll. Looks like we'll be gardening is MS this coming
spring and summer. The McComb/Tylertown area.
That said, are there veggies and or
flowers and trees that I just shouldn't waste my time
trying to grow? I guess my biggest challenge will
be four legged critters. My only battle here are
neighborhood cats. They don't eat anything just
leave little packages that no one wants. LOL
Also, how high of a fence do I need to keep out
deer? Can I plant corn or something else they like
in another area of the property to try to temp
them away from my veggies and flowers?
Thanks for the help.

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any gardeners in the McComb/Tylertown area?

Hi Brenda, I don't have deer so can't give you advice about that. My mom has trouble with bunnies, she's in Stone County. I used to have bunnies eating some stuff in St. Bernard, and they usually liked new fresh growth, so I would put a little wire fencing around new things until they got more established.
The one thing I would say would be different for you in Tylertown would be the tropicals that we grew so easily in zone 9b. You'll be zone 8 which is a lovely zone, but you will be much more likely to have freezes and get in the 20's sometimes. So you might lose tropical hibiscus, mandevilla, coleus, and the like. Not sure about citrus, which I can't grow in Tupelo area, but you might be successful with Satsuma, I believe is the most cold hardy. So it is a pain to have to move pots in the winter, be prepared for more of that, have pots that are lighter in weight, or on casters, and a place to put them, if you do any containers. Also, you can take cuttings, for example, of coleus, which I do and it overwinters in my unheated, but attached garage. I also take cuttings of sweet potato vine and bring in my begonias in pots. That's the main difference I found in moving north, was the colder temps, which is really cold up here. Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I always say "We are up here above the Mason-Dixon line (Meridian I say is the line between north and south)!".
Laurie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here