Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visit to south Louisiana in early 2007

Posted by tennessee z7TN (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 0:14

My husband & I are thinking about taking a trip to the gulf coast area &/or New Orleans & wondered how plants in the area are doing after Katrina. Are there garden areas to visit in New Orleans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visit to south Louisiana in early 2007

Tennessee, I am so happy to hear that you will be visiting New Orleans or the Mississippi gulf coast. You know how much we love to have good company down here!

Unfortunately, bad news. Not much has changed since Katrina. The Garden District of New Orleans is functioning almost normally, as is the French Quarter. St. Charles Avenue was mostly spared. The Central Business District is functioning, but not nearly at a pre-storm level.

Everything else, and I do mean everything, is either rubble or just plain gone. I am afraid everything is very ugly.

I do not know the status of the City Park Botanical Gardens; the Administrator's Office number is 504-483-9386.

If none of this is too distressing, I suggest a visit in early April which is the best weather for a visit and when the few things that survived, will be in bloom.

If you are not coming for scenic landscapes, there is still a lot to do and the Quarter is lovely, battered a bit, but still charming.

o
RE: Visit to south Louisiana in early 2007

Hey Volunteer

City Park Botanical Gardens is a horrible mess and the folks who would normally volunteer to help the park are struggling to put their own homes and lives back together.

I recently visited the "Gardens" and was told they would appreciate as many seeds as people could send. You might post a message on the "Tennessee" forum and gather up some seeds for the Park. I know the wonderful folks of that great state would respond with great results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here