Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow your own tea

Posted by shelbyclay 8B (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 04 at 9:53

Does anyone here have any Camelia Sinensis varieties? It is supposed to grow well in the south (so I hear).
My wife and I are both interested in trying it.
There seem to be several different ways of processing it to make different varieties of tea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow your own tea

I am also interested in growing tea bushes. Raintree offers a couple of varieties. I was concerned about the difficulties involved in making black tea, as I much prefer it to green tea. I think I will order one of each variety anyhow, as they make nice ornamentals and I have a spot close to my house that would fit two plants. I don't know of anyone growing the bushes, but I know camelias grow well around here, if you acidify the soil some.

o
RE: Grow your own tea

You are correct about the black tea. Its fermented so ... ? I perfer the green so maybe I should try this for my self :)
Camellias grow great in Ms. Infact I have all sorts blooming as I write. I have .... oh dozen or so plants ... more? I don't have any of the C. japanica for some reason!?! Guess I'll put them on my list too.
I grow all sorts of herbs for teas; many different mints, pineapple sage, camomile. I have a bayleaf bush too that I was told makes a good tea. I'm thinking of trin' it sometime this winter. Seems like a strange one (bitter?)but I'll try anything ... once ;>
Please do post again if you go for the Camelia sinensis. I would be most interested in your results.
Mike

o
found a link

I just found a web site saying that this link is the only know comerical tea produced in the U.S.
http://www.charlestonteagardens.com/
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here