Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2plantz8

japanese maples

luvs2plantz8
19 years ago

do japanese maples do well in this part of the country? i would like to purchase one for a spot that gets morning and mid day sun but would be shaded in the afternoon. would this be favorable conditions for this type of tree. any advise on this subject would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Comments (8)

• oliverpeng
    19 years ago

They do well as long as you give them afternoon shade. Depending on cultivars, some do better than others in sun. Those with finely cut lace-leaves tend to burn easily and will need more shade.

Up in Vancouver, where the summer daylight is long but mild, they thrive in full sun. Everywhere. Down south, better keep em shaded at least from the afternoon sun.

• LadyLandshaper
    19 years ago

'Bloodgood' is a Mississippi Medallion winner for its performance, and does well here in coastal Mississippi. Ditto on the keeping it away from the afternoon sun. It's not pretty to see them crisp up!
    Check out this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Bloodgood' Japanese Maple

• luvs2plantz8
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks ladylandshaper for the great link. i think the bloodgood will be the perfect choice for me. i have long admired these trees, they add such elegance to a garden.

• tamivileine
    19 years ago

LadyLandshaper,

are you on the Coast? If so, can you recommend a nursery where the 'bloodgood' can be purchased?
    thanks
    tami

• danbo
    19 years ago

Tami

I got a Coral Bark Japanese Maple earlier this year at the Beatline Nursery, on beatline Road in Long Beach. I believe they also had a few of the Youngblood. Beatline usually has at least 3 or 4 varities of Japanes Maples. (Often on sale. And with out the sale about half the price of Parenno's in New Orleans.)

The coral bark is our 2nd J Maple. The coral bark is crisping up a bit. (It gets shade from about 2 or 3 on. Plus off and on shade earlier from a nearby pear and a newly planted palm with a Hurricane cut. I'm not sure if it's getting a bit too much sun or it just hasn't had time establish yet. I'm hoping the crisping will be gone next year as the plant gets established. And the Palm grows out of the hurricane cut and provides additional shade.

• danbo
    19 years ago

I don't believe I did that. When I said Youngblood. I should have said Bloodgood.

• tamivileine
    19 years ago

Thanks, Danbo

I wrote directly and got the same reference, to beatline, that is.

I have a J.M. in my garden which gets shade just about all day and it crisped. I have no idea what variety it is, but it's certainly not happy here.

Should I wait until spring to get trees, or do you think I can plant now?

And, what's a 'hurricane cut?'

thanks for the help,
    tami

• danbo
    19 years ago

I imagine they'll be losing all their leaves within the next month. (The Coral Bark is changing color.) Though I'm not an expert on JM's; it would seem planting them now or after they lose their leaves. You'll have more time for the tree to establish and grow roots before summer sets in. Giving it a better chance of surviving the 1st summer.

A hurricane cut on a palm. Newly planted palms ususlly have relatively few roots. A hurrican cut is cutting off all or about all the palms. Pretty much leaving a bare or almost bare trunk. (For most of the summer,ours only had 2 fans tied together to allow to take stress off the roots as they established.) This gives the palm a better chance to put it's energy in establishing a root system. And in the event of a hurricane. Makes a palm less likly to be blown over.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company