Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danbo_gw

Nursries, Mississippi Coast, What's left.

danbo
18 years ago

I feel like I'm getting enough done with the house, tree removal etc. Not to beging replacing plants yet but am thinking of what to get as replacements. My question is what's left along the coast. as far as nurseries. What nurseries survived Katrina? What may be closed but will be re opening? Especially on the western side of the coast. Bay St Louis/Waveland/Kiln/Delisle or Pass Chrisitian/Long beach?

Does anyone know about Beatline nursery in Long Beach? Plants and Things in Waveland, And the place with all the palms down the street from them?

Any info or suggestions. Or do we need to drive over to St Tammany parish?

Comments (8)

• mrskjun
    18 years ago

From what I understand, you aren't going to be having much luck until spring. I've been told that the large suppliers for nurseries were devastated as well. Our largest nursery here is going to be shutting its doors, minimum till spring and possibly indefinitely.

Betty

• JustAVoice
    18 years ago

Danbo,
    I live just north of the coast. There is Williamson Nursery in Hattiesburg and Shady Acres in just south of Seminary. They are both restocked.
    Tami

• dogpooponshoes
    18 years ago

Beatline Nursery, friends of mine, were hit hard but plan to come back. Of course Plants and Things is totally wiped and unrecognizable. However, Pine Hills is up and running. Take Delisle exit of I-10, North, and you'll see the sign on the left hand side. Wind down the road and at the end are some homes and the nursery will be obvious.

• danbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good to hear Beatline will be coming back. And hope Plants and things will be able to come back also. I like those folks and they have some interesting plants.

Have noticed the signs that Pine Hills was open. Just haven't made it there yet.

Any idea how Raintree in Pass Christian faired. And the place with all the palms down from plnts and things. (I'm blanking on their names.)

• rozanna
    18 years ago

Countryside Nursery on Menge Ave in Pass Christian is open for business - roses - small quantities only. They have some other things also but mostly roses. And they are having a sale

Here is a link that might be useful: Countryside Nursery

• janet072264
    18 years ago

I love the folks at Plants and Things. I hope they are able to recover by spring.
    Sun Orchard nursery at Hwy 57 is open and Frasiers in D'Iberville are open, but have a VERY limited selection. I am like you, danbo, I lost so much and I am dying to start replacing some things.
    What I wouldn't give for a beautiful bromeliad from HD or Lowe's!! Something I would normally just pass up, because they are so common!!!
    I sure hope they are able to pull off a spring garden show at the coliseum this year!!
    Janet

• danbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pine Hills Nursery just off the Kiln/D'Isle road is open. They lost most of their greenhouses. Basically what they have right now are trees and shrubs. They hope to start getting bedding plants about april. Along with grass plugs. (I need those, for the dead areas in the front lawn.) And top soil to fill the cavaties of the downed trees.

The nursery on the Kiln/Waveland road. Just down from Plant's and Things is open. (I can never remember their name.) They lost all their greenhouses. Told me they had 25 feet of salt water on the property. They aren't selling anything but palms right now. (I was thinking of replacing the mature Magnolia with 2 large sable palms. And if they survived Katrina...) And they plan to soon be getting other trees. Hardwoods, etc.

• judy_gardener
    18 years ago

Looking for Veriegated devils backbone. Anyone know where I might get a plant.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County