Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumbago too close to gardenia?

Posted by LyannaStark 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 13:47

We just bought a really amazing house in New Orleans (Bywater) with a really lovely backyard, and we're sort of making our way through the 3 months of abandonment plus one hurricane it's been through. While I was pruning an unruly gardenia, I uncovered a 1.5-2-foot plumbago hiding under all the extra branches. So yay, pretty discovery! But it's really very very close to the gardenia, like a foot or two from the base. Is that too close? Especially since it looks like plumbago can get pretty big.

I'm thinking it is too close, especially since gardenias are so picky and temperamental in the first place. Can I dig up the plumbago and move it? I don't want to dig around in the ground too much, since see above re: temperamental and picky gardenia roots, but it looks like if I just cut the plumbago to the ground it'll keep coming back anyway. Advice?

This yard is amazing, and pruning/weeding is like freaking archaeology, discovering plants and beds and borders underneath the jungle. And it's my first real actual dirt non-container garden in years. So I'll probably be around here a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumbago too close to gardenia?

Sorry just saw your post today. Congrats on your new house! I'm from N.O. (9th ward and lived Uptown) but mainly grew up in St. Bernard (left after Katrina). I would definitely dig the plumbago up, but (if you haven't already) do it between like December and February when it is the most dormant. Sometimes if you use a perennial fork (I think it's called) it's like a small heavy-tined pitchfork, it can get the plant out with little damage to the roots. Good luck with this and all the other plant adventures you will have! I sure miss N.O.!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here