Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 15:54

In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even though I was born, raised, & still live in Louisiana, I have never been to New Orleans. I was also told there is a guy somewhere near there that specilizes in different types of bamboo. My info on him may not be accurate being as it was given to me by word of mouth. I'm looking for any place that carries bulbs as well as anything fun & pretty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???

I think there are a few bamboo gardens deep inland, on the Northshore. Here's one: bamboogardensla.com Note that tours are by appointment. That one's near Mt. Herman, off 55, almost to Mississippi. I've planted their 'Chinese Goddess' clumping bamboo here in Madison, as a sound-absorbing measure. We sold the house years ago, but the bamboo stays at twelve feet, is very dense, does not spread (though the clumps do get wider), and the new owners report their home is now an oasis of quiet. It's one of a very few things I've planted, which I'd consider a complete success.

And if you're in the French Quarter for any reason, remember that the safer part is on the River Side of Bourbon Street. If you're alone, don't get too close to Canal Street, and don't cross Esplanade.

o

This is way north of Covington, several hours from NOLA

mount hermon louisiana
http://www.bamboogardensla.com/

Laughing Buddha in Metairie, dont know if they have bamboo though
http://www.i-m.co/vogellied/LBNtemp/

link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bamboogardensla.com/

o

Yes!!! If you are super into keeping it local and finding out more about the local plant, flower and tree life then Bantings Nursery can't be overlooked. A bit off the beaten path in westwego it is where I basically bought my whole backyard. It's HUGE too. Located at 3425 River Rd, Westwego, LA 70094. Great selection of local fruit trees and old old tea roses etc...

In the city the only two I go to are urban roots at 2375 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA 70130 or to perino's but it's pricy...that's located at 3100 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA 70002. Hope that helps!

o

How is urban roots ?
I haven been there,, it must be fairly new
what kind of stuff do they have ?
They website is very sparse

o

Urban Roots on Tchuopitoulas is a great little place - have a good variety of things, some unusual - and inside they usually have several varieties of orchids. Last time I was there, there were also a few chickens walking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here