Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new roses & bouganvillia

Posted by letsharmonize 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 18:34

marshall's in lafayette has lots of plants 50-75% off. including crepe myrtles, roses, bouganvillia, hibiscus, etc.

i bought 2 climbing roses ... a Fourth of July and (i think) a Zephirine Drouhin (thornless). i've never had a climber before, and am in fact a rose novice. would appreciate tips on how to care for them right now, whether to plant or leave them in their 3 gal containers, etc.

also would appreciate tip on this bouganvillia too.

thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new roses & bouganvillia

Now is a perfect time to plant them. They require the same care as any other rose, no fertilizer till spring. I have Zeffy, she is thornless, and when she blooms the smell is fantastic.

o
RE: new roses & bouganvillia

Fall planting is great for roses and other shrubs, trees, and perennials.
The bouganvilla is tropical and tender, I believe, and could freeze in zone 9. I used to live south of New Orleans, and occasionally we would get a real cold snap that would kill our hibiscuses etc. So I would plant bougie in a container that can be moved as needed, at least this year. In late spring you could plant it in the ground, but it will always have a chance of freezing. My understanding is bougies like to be pot-bound, to flower better, you might want to google it and see. The climbing roses do not need regular pruning like hybrid tea roses, that lots of folks are familiar with. Just prune to keep it the size you want it. In my zone 7 we do March and August.
laurie
laurie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here