Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Bay tree

Posted by gooup z9, LA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 19:46

i have a bay tree that i need to transplant. When is it safe to do so?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Bay tree

• Posted by gooup z9, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 19:47

i forgot to mention, it is very young, 4-5 years old, 3' high or so.

o

I would say right now is the perfect time. I moved one of similar size a couple of years ago. It is doing fine. This is a hard plant to kill.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Dawn Weblog

o

I agree with Kieththibodeaux, now is a perfect time. Weather is nice and cool and everything is now dormant.

o

I heard Felder Rushing say on his call-in show last week that you shouldn't move trees that are more than 6-7 years old, so you need to get on it. I move large trees and shrubs with great success this time of year. The earlier in the fall or winter the better so the roots can settle in. Dig the new hole first! :)

o

Has anyone grown a bay leaf tree from seed??

Thanks

o

Never grown one from seed but I have from cuttings..

o

Germination from seeds is said to be erratic. It may take anywhere from 3 weeks to 12 months. Seds are to be surface sowed in fall and kept moist.
I have not grown from seeds. Just read about it. But I plan to do so when I find some seeds.
Neerukat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here