Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nita1027

Turk's Cap/Malvaviscus

nita1027
20 years ago

How far north (Zone) has anyone successfully grown this plant as a perennial? I was given a start of one but it didn't return for me. I'm trying to figure out if it truly is not winter hardy in Zone 7 or if I just didn't get the plant into the right spot (right soil, right light, etc...).

Nita

Comments (7)

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

It didn't come back for me, tho' I always think it's a good idea to try it, as you say, in different locations and conditions before I give up. I think the native(?) form, var. drummondii, is a good bit hardier as I see it in quite a few gardens around here, but I don't know if it would be hardy two zones north of us either. Hope someone with experience up there answers you.

• MissSherry
    20 years ago

I've got some fairly old malvaviscus drummondii and some recently planted m. drummondii in my garden - the tops on both get killed back every winter, but they always make new growth in the spring. I'm only 35 miles north of the coast, though. I've tried growing m. arborea - the large flowered type - and it came back the first year, but not the second. I haven't replanted it, because, in addition to not being cold hardy, it doesn't bloom until November after the hummingbirds have gone, at least here. I don't know whether or not m. drummondii - the small flowered type that hummers love that blooms from about May to December - would be cold hardy in your zone, but I agree with greenelbows that it's worth a try.
    Sherry

• lgbarton
    20 years ago

I have a nice little stand of Malvaviscus arboreus that came with my house. It has come through some pretty low temps with flying colors. I live in zone 7b.

I also have a tiny fierce little feist dog named Malva. She is known in some circles as Malva-viscious.

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

Ooh, good one! I like that!

• timerson
    19 years ago

I am looking for seed from Turk's cap (wax mallow) Malvaceae, also called turk's cap hibiscus. It is said to be one of the best plants for hummingbirds. However I have had no luck in finding seed anywhere. So if you can help me in my search it would be greatly appreciated, thanks

• BelindaM
    19 years ago

Malvaviscus Arboreus Drummondii (Giant's Turks cap) I have that is root hardy here in zone 8. I have never yet seen seeds on mine. You can get plants from www.countryhillgardens.com. I also have Malvaviscus candida (sleepy Mallow) also root hardy here,but no seed.

• lbrazil
    19 years ago

I have had a clump of this for several years. Comes back every spring. I also am in Zone 7, out from Tupelo, Miss. Thanks Larry

Sponsored