Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old fashioned Gingerlily

Posted by whitehand la (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 07 at 20:36

We moved into and old house in downtown Baton Rouge in July.
There is a row of what I'm sure are gingerlilies under a large tree overhanging from our neighbors yard. I'm sure the gingerlilies were planted before the tree was so large, as they need more sun to bloom (these didn't). Therefore, these lilies are probably an old standard variety. So, does anyone have any idea what color they'll probably be? I've got a scheme in mind for the front yard, and if they aren't yellow, they need to be transplanted to a sunnier location in the back yard. So, anyway, what color will the probably be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old fashioned Gingerlily

If the plant is what you think it is, the botanical name is Curcuma Petiolata. It is considered a heirloom plant of the South. It definitely needs sun to bloom. The blooms will emerge in late summer and are a light pink with small yellow flowers. This ginger goes dormant with the first frost. For a picture, go to www.stokestropicals.com. Search the site under the botanical name.

Steve

o
Please be more specific

I was hesitant to say anything but I think it needs saying:

'old fashioned gingerlily' is vague.

I mean, Curcuma species are called 'gingerlily' (and 'hidden' ginger) so are butterfly ginger (Hedychium x. sp.) and pine cone ginger which is also called shampoo ginger and pinecone lily (Zingiber zerumbet)

I can't think of any Curcuma sp. that bloom with an overall yellow appearance, at least not offhand. (I mean, Curcumas look pink, even if the actual flower bits are yellow.) Some Hedychium are yellow, and Zingibers as well. I've seen all three in very old gardens, though...

Gotta pic of the leaves? That would help so much.

pic of Curcuma
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/files/Curcuma/Curcuma_petiolata_Flower_AD.jpg

pic of Hedychium
http://www.agristarts4.com/Tech Sheets/Hedychium Anne%

pic of Zingiber zerumbet
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/suncatcheracres_1094131953_441.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here