Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about gardening in Natchez,MS area

Posted by deep_south_gardener z9b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 07 at 22:14

Hey ya'll,
We may be purchasing some country property near Natchez,MS.
Of course I need to know what I can expect as a gardener.
If any of you are around that area I would love to know
about first and last frost dates, rainfall and what the
best varieties of veggies, shrubs and trees are in
that area? Is there a state ag organization I can contact?
All help would be appreciated.

Brenda
New Orleans area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about gardening in Natchez,MS area

Hi Brenda,
I'm a New Orleans native, raised in St. Bernard and displaced due to Katrina. So now I live in the Tupelo area which is NE Mississippi. So I'm a bit farther north and east, but you should just love the Natchez area. It is a great gardening city / gardening culture, and great climate. I'm not sure of the soils but I would think it is delta soil which is much better than up here -- clay. Although I've gotten used to it and clay does have its merits (water retention in a drought). The best sites for you are msucares on the web (from Mississippi State University). They have county agents, and agriculture programs, master gardeners etc just like LSU. Also felderrushing.net -- he's a gardening guru, very down to earth, and has a radio show on Friday a.m. and repeats on sat. am on MPB -- Mississippi public radio, you can find all this on the internet. I think you are in zone 8 and so you will be a few weeks sooner and a few weeks later for the first and last frost dates respectively, but it is not that much different from the northshore New Orleans. Rainfall is about 55 inches per year in Miss. I beleive, although alot of the state is at a deficit due to drought, Jackson MS, Nashville, Birmingham, Atlanta all 15 to 19 inches deficit for the year. Not sure about Natchez. There are several excellent Mississippi gardening books: Passalong Plants, Tough Plants for Southern Gardens I beleive both by Felder Rushing, also author Norman Winter, and Steve Bender; also Southern Living Garden Guide and / or Southern Living Landscape Guide or similar titles by Southern Living. I think you will very much enjoy Natchez, I've always felt that Louisiana and Mississippi were sister states, having grown up s.e. of New Orleans and just a stone's throw from the Miss. Gulf Coast, where many of us spent many weekends and summers.

o
RE: ? about gardening in Natchez,MS area

Hi Brenda,
Louisianagal gave you some good advice on her reply to you. I live in Vicksburg, MS about an hour north of Natchez also on the Miss. River. I have a garden blog with some links on gardening in this area. Check it out and welcome to Mississippi. You will love the Natchez area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mississippi Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here