Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overseeding lawn in winter in Mississippi

Posted by louisianagal z7bMS (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 08 at 23:55

Hey,
Any Mississippi gardeners who overseed their lawns with rye in winter? I am undecided. Perennial vs annual? Does it die naturally in spring or do you have to kill it? That would defeat the purpose of doing it for the reason I'm doing it: organic weed control and feeding the regular lawn from it's clippings when I mow. How often do you have to mow in North MS.? My regular lawn is predominantly bermuda, some zoysia.
do any of you overseed with something else? fescue?
laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overseeding lawn in winter in Mississippi

Laurie, you'll have to mow fairly often IF you get a good stand of rye over your grass. Rather than do that, why not put down a good pre-emergent? This will absolutely stop the cool weather weeds in your lawn. You put it out with a fertilizer spreader. There are alot of different brands. Look for one that says "crabgrass preventer" or that controls things like henbit. They will control way more than that. I use them in my flowerbeds too if I don't care about having volunteer flowers. It's time to be putting it out now, as it stops the seeds from germinating but doesn't kill them once they do.

Depending on the size of your lawn a thin topdressing of compost or manure in the spring will work absolute miracles on your grass.

o

I will try the compost in spring. I also heard just used coffee grounds works too. I don't use herbicides or pesticides, except Amdro bait when needed for a bad fire ant situation.
laurie

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 1, 08 at 11:31

Laurie, I prefer perennial rye over annual, because it doesn't grow as fast which means you don't have to mow as often. Costs almost twice as much, but to me it's worth it. Both will die when late spring heat sets in.

o

I have used fescue to overseed an area that is mostly St Augustine. I have done this for years to help the St Augustine fill in and prevent erosion in the winter. This has helped alot so I highly recommend it. I also use perenial rye on higher traffic areas (dogs running) & it's worth it.Both fescue and perenial rye will stick around a long time and not die out completely where I am (Jackson). Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here