Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bayou/ swamp advice on re-creating this

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 0:40

I already posted this on the Gulf coast gardening forum. I want to make a Swamp/Bayou area re-creation in miniature. I have already bought the makings of swamp water, a miniature gator, some moss to drape on the trees. I just want some input to add to my plans. I know Cypress and Live oak trees are coastal natives, usually draped with the Spanish moss. What I am clueless on is what is missing? I realize there will be some Cottonmouth snakes also. Any plants to add? I don't mean to be ignorant or anything. I just know that I am missing out on things that grow in this situation, which the residents of the area see every day and could name off with no problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bayou/ swamp advice on re-creating this

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 22:40

You could plant some cattails,salt grass and bull rushes.

o

I will need to look up what a bull rush is. Maybe a tall grass?

o

Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 21:36

It's a type of reed that grows in wet areas.

o

I may need to make some of the plants etc. unless I can find them for toy train sized landscape recreations.

o

Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 20:43

I didn't realize this was a miniature. Put a muskrat and a Cajun in a wooden pirogue (boat). Maybe some ducks and a blue heron.

o

I am finding it a bit difficult to find some stuff I need. I can't find Bald Cypress trees in miniature. I got some Spruce/pine miniatures at a dollar store by me and will try to remove some growth with scissors and shape it like a bald cypress, if I do ok I'll buy some more and do again. I have Spanish moss from craft store, and will try to attach some to it too. I need to get some frogs, cottonmouth or cottonmouth look alike snake, some heron or long leg bird. Maybe another gator the plants at waters edge. It will take a while before I have what I need to get to it.

o

i know this is late but you might want palmetto

o

CRAWFISH, shrimp, crab, oysters and Nutria :)

old crab nets would be nice, lots of people do that at restaurants etc...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here