Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parasol Tree?

Posted by Energy_Rater_La Louisiana (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 1:14

Someone in N.O. recently gave me a tree they
called a parasol tree. Does anyone have any info.
on this plant. Shade/sun.. how big ..how long to
get how big. Does it flower? Self seed?
Any input appreciated, I need to get it inground
before it gets cold.
Thanks.
Oh, while I am here Alocasia (in the elephant ear family)
I just got one and need to know sun or shade.
Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parasol Tree?

Go to Gardenweb home page... in the search box, type
Firmiana simplex Chinese parasoltree; chinese parasol tree

There are pictures there and definitions.

I live in Olive Branch (extreme NW corner of MS). I have them. They grow relatively quickly. I have one that is three years old and it is about 10' tall. It had flowers and seeds this year, for the first time. The roots grow very deeply, so if you ever have to transplant one, do it before it's very old (like in it's first year of growth).

It does self-seed, and you can plant it in full sun.

Good luck!!

o

Thank you very much !!!

o

About the Alocasia--there's lots of 'em. Some prefer sun and some want at least some shade. Some are large and some can be dainty little edgers. Some are more hardy than others. You can go to the Aroid forum here on GW and check pictures, and there's lots of information there about hardiness and sun/shade, and about places to go to find pictures to help identify yours. You might want to put 'alocasia' in the search at that site to get out of going through a lot of not so relevant material, but watch out! At least to me it's fascinating, and I've learned more in the last year and a half from that site that I had learned in I guess twenty years or more before that of being pretty interested, and even buying a book just about aroids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here